Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Possibly bad egg
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care     
SAB0098

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:25 am Reply with quote

Hi, I have wild peacocks where I live (they aren't here naturally, they were introduced) and I found an egg. I put it under a heat lamp just in case it was fertile/alive, which I didn't think it was. To my surprise after about 6 days I candled it and found it was indeed alive and seemed fine. At about 15 days I candled it and I don't think it's alive anymore. Before I could clearly see veins and it moving on occasion. Now i can't really see veins, it seems to be kind of cloudy in the egg, and it looks as though the yolk has leaked into the rest of the egg. Before when I moved it around while candling everything seemed to pretty much stay in place, but now there's a lot of liquid type movement. Since I'm not an experienced egg hatcher I don't really know what to expect as the egg matures. So I'm asking for advice considering most of you have had experience with peafowl hatching. I don't want to throw it out until I'm certain it's gone bad. Any insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I need to determine it's condition before it rots. Thank you.
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:07 am Reply with quote

You won't be able to hatch an egg just under a heat lamp.
It's busy going rotten, throw it out before it explodes !
SAB0098

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote

That's what I figured, I just wanted to be sure, thanks.
Kevin
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote

Sorry it didn't last til hatching. If you want peafowl & have chickens.. you can replace a hen's egg with a couple peafowl eggs and she will successfully hatch them.
SAB0098

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:21 am Reply with quote

I'm not really interested in breeding, like I said, they run wild around here. I was just trying to save this little guy. But thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind next time I find an egg. Smile
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care