Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Odd Hatch! Need help!
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics     
jeremy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote

Well I have been raising peacocks for about 5 years now and this is the first time I have had a problem telling what a chick was. About3-4 weeks ago I had an egg hatch and the chick looked like a blackshoulder/ white but I had marked the egg cameo. I came to the conclusion that i had jsut messed up. Well about 2 hours later I had another chick hatch and this one looked like a blackshoulder/white , but the egg was marked blackshoulder and it had the same date as the other egg so i figured the first egg that had hatched was a white. Well....... wouldnt you believe it that then i had a white hatch the same day andthe egg was marked white and dated the same as the other 2.

Now..... i became really confused becuase there wasnt anything else it could have been!

Now its been about 3-4 weeks and the chick has gotten a little light brown on its body (but no where close to a cameo) and it shows no colors of a black shoulder and its for sure not a white. However tis head and neck are still white and havent changed at all! What could be going on?

I can get pics if I need to!

Thanks!
JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote

Ooh I love surprises! A picture really would help if you can post one.

DMFarms
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:25 pm Reply with quote

Jeremy sound like they are cameo blackshoulder. If the breeders are cameo they are split to blackshoulder.
Doug
jeremy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote

Okay , I will try to take a picture tomorrow!

If they were split to blackshoulder wouldnt I have seen this before? I have been hatching the chicks from this pair for at least 4 years.

Thanks!
Kevin
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:27 am Reply with quote

How many chicks total from the cameo pair though? Sometimes a small sample size can be really skewed.. only after a large sample size does the "expected ratio" show up. So even though there's an 25% chance of BS from a pair of BS splits, it's entirely possible to hatch 10 chicks and not hatch a single BS. After 30-50ish chicks the ratio will show up more or less as expected.

Sort of related to your case: I bought a pair of Opal a couple years ago. I was very surprised at getting a few "white" chicks out of them but quickly assumed they were probably BS Opals. However they seemed to stay clean white for couple weeks.. started to wonder if they were possibly whites and incredibly both of the Opals failed to show any white feathers typical of split whites.. but then they finally showed some color after a full month. Their colors remained very "soft" and almost barely discernible for another month or two.. eventually it was more obvious (turns out BS Opal are very very pretty, IMO). I'm guessing certain colors combined with BS may grow chicks that seem to be really light/soft colored for a good while. (never had cameos myself) Again possibly relevant to your case.. did not hatch any BS Opals from the same pair last year (about 10 chicks). Just hatched two BS Opal along 4 Opals this week though(also from same pair).
jeremy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:09 pm Reply with quote

Id prob say 15-20 from the pair have hatched.

I took some pictures but I cant get the importer to work , ill try again later.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics