Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Dumb Question Number 87,459
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care     
tonygrz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:18 am Reply with quote

Hi,

Question 87,459 - The book says that eggs hatch in 28 days but the breeder I bought my birds from said that his peafowl eggs take 32 to 33 days. That sound reasonable???

Question 87,460 - My hen layed 3 eggs in about 7 days and then didn't lay anymore for 4 more days. I took those three and put them in the incubator. Then, she started laying again, laying 3 more eggs in about 8 days. I had not provided a nest so I built a rather large wooden box nest and put the three eggs in the box. The next day, she moved one of the eggs onto the ground and is now setting that single egg. Does that sound about right????

No more dumb questions for at least another three or four hours !!!!

Tony Garza
tonygrz
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:47 am Reply with quote

Hi Tony
For the 87,459th time, there are no dumb questions. I'm kinda giggling because your questions are the same as mine were at one time. I thought they were dumb questions, too, but they really aren't.

Books are books, but hens are hens. 28 days seems to be the norm, but I've had eggs hatch at 29 and 30. Other folks have had hatches at 31 days. I've never known a 33-day hatch, but if this breeder knows his hens he's probably right. You'd be wise to date your eggs and gently pull any that have been under a hen for 34 days. They can really stink. And if they rupture - oh, let's not even go there.

Re the unusual nesting practices: sometimes these birds just crack me up. I've had two hens nesting side by side, practically on top of one another. As soon as one hen moved or went to get a drink, the other hen habitually tried to roll the other's eggs into her nest and cover them up. It looked like a game of Texas Hold'em. If you're okay with where she has her single egg, put the others in with it. Maybe she just doesn't like the box. (Mine didn't either, so I put a pile of straw in the corner of the barn. They adore that, and lay there every year.)

My hens have laid sporadically this year, too. Sometimes they go nearly a week and don't lay anything. I have a 4-yr-old hen that has never gone broody. Because I want her eggs to hatch, yesterday I moved her 5 eggs to another pen with an older peahen who I know will set them. I've never done this before, but it's worth a try. You and I aren't the only ones with unpredictable egg-laying this year. The weather has been a bit unusual, very wet here, and it seems to affect the outcomes.

Hang in there, and ask away. This is how we all learn. I'm sure others have had the same questions and experiences as you, and I also look forward to hearing from them.

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote

Hi,

I'd also be interested in what other's have to say about the incubation time.

Personally I have never had a peafowl egg hatch past day 30. Our hatches usually are 27-28 days. They are sat under a broody silky hen for the first 10-14 days and then transfered to the incubator. So that could be a factor when comparing to a complete incubation time under a hen.

And like featherhead mentioned all the eggs are dated, and identified from what pen. Record keeping is vital. Even so 32-33 days seems to be a bit out of range.

What does someone else think? :egg
bcraft

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote

Peafowl eggs, normal time is 28 days, with early ones hatching at 26 days, never had any go over 30 days. Incubator or storage temp. can affect the hatch time. Wonder seem like people in warmer Southern States have them hatching more like 26 days.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:28 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the great replies. I'll keep everyone posted as to when they hatch, if they do. My only hen likes bar earth to lay on. Oh well..........I guess I have "country" peafowl.

Tony
Sonoita
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote

Before I give up on eggs, I hold them close to my ear and start peeping. If there is a response, there is a chick. I usually start this on the day after the due date, and give it 24 hrs. This has worked for me on chickens and peas. Wink

DMFarms
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:48 pm Reply with quote

Tony most of my eggs start hatching in 26 days we set eggs ever Sunday under chickens for a week than they are put in the incubator. We had a chick that hatch out last Thurday that should have hatch last weekend at 32 days I have never had one to hatch this late.
Doug
tonygrz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:23 pm Reply with quote

Well, seems like 2009 is a bust !!! My female laid three eggs first and then didn't lay anymore for four days. I took these eggs and tried to incubate them. Didn't hatch. She then laid two more eggs on bare ground. I built her a nest and moved these eggs. She abondoned them. She then laid two more eggs and was setting them, but some type of varmint took them. Poor girl never had a chance. But maybe I've learned from this year and next year will be different. And I'm building a wooden incubator myself.

Will let you all know how next spring's breeding goes. Thanks for all your help and advice.

Tony
Peachick Grammie
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote

My old lady hen laid a lot of eggs before she decided to sit on them. Because she laid so many and waited so long, I discarded two or three of the very first ones. This is the fifth season for this feral hen laying but she has yet to hatch an egg on her own. This year, I left her with two viable eggs (the rest were in the incubator) and she apparently squashed the chick as it was attempting to hatch. When I checked the second egg I could see blood so it was discarded too.

Meanwhile the two year old hen wanted to lay her eggs in the old lady's nesting box. It didn't matter that she had another nesting box available. Then I tried one on the ground. Still no. Instead she would wait until the old gal took a break and sneak in and lay an egg. If she could not do that she would lay it right outside of the nest. I actually saw her jump in the nest, on top of the hen while she was getting madly pecked and basically lay an egg on top of her. When the old hen stood up, the egg rolled in with the others.

After dealing with my birds, I am amazed that peacocks exist in the wild at all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care