Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Hens won't set on eggs
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care     
gwolford

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:48 am Reply with quote

My neighbor has 4 peahens that are at least three years old and an older peacock in an aviary. Last year and this year the hens lay lots of eggs but never get broody.

We would like to know what conditions are required to encourage hens to set inside an avairy.

I hatched some eggs last year and this year in an incubator and they are fertile.
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:46 pm Reply with quote

Hi gwolford
There's probably nothing to worry about. My 5-yr-old hen has also laid lots of eggs but hasn't gone broody yet. She will set them, but she's just particular about when to begin. If your neighbor is dating the eggs, they might want to pull the older ones. Many people pull the eggs after they are 10 days old, due to low hatch rates from those older eggs. Let us know what happens, okay?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:14 am Reply with quote

Thank you for the message. I think my neighbor will do as you suggested.

We are new to peafowl so I didn't know what types of nest boxes or nesting material or minimum cage size or shelter they might require for setting.

I hatched 15 chicks in an incubator from his eggs last year and I hatched 16 this year. These are my first peafowl.
Kevin
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:02 pm Reply with quote

Bottom line is, it appears many or even most hens will either never or very rarely(only doing so in some years) set inside pens.

If this is a very much desired goal.. try giving them whatever nest boxes or locations possible in their aviary.. both on the ground-make a scrape in the ground and place a very large stone or log next to it.. or use something like a wooden sides box, old tire, extra large livestock feed/water containers, place shavings or straw in them.

Many peahens will try using an off ground nest, but this is a little harder to give in a pen.. can be either low or high off the ground. Same thing- place straw or other things in it to act as cushion for the eggs.

I have noticed a lot of peahen nests of free ranging ones tend to be next to something very large, like a shed, a wood or brick wall, a fallen tree etc. So if there is a solid side somewhere in the pen, try placing a log or rock a couple feet from it and dig a little scrape in between.

No guarantees though, even with nests like the above.. the hens may or may not use any of them.. even if a hen is laying in one of the made nests, it is no guarantee she will eventually set. But do let the eggs build up in the nest.. leave 4-6 eggs, excellent idea to mark the egg ages or simply mark 4=6 old ones and then take away and store the new eggs in a cool spot..
gwolford

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:57 am Reply with quote

Thank you for the information. My neighbors hen is now setting on three eggs.
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:18 am Reply with quote

Glad to hear the hen is now setting !

just an "add to" since I just found this thread. We built nest boxes inside our pen's buildings
next to the walls that are about 2 feet wide x 3 feet long. They also are about 2 feet tall on the " front " side and about a foot tall on the " end sides" in order to give the hens privacy from the other birds. They use these boxes very well for setting.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care