Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  When?
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics     
vickiec

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:30 am Reply with quote

HI,
This will be my first spring with Peafowl and I'm wondering what to watch for when my birds are getting ready to breed? When will it happen? I'm reallly excited about the possiblility of becoming a new mom!! I live in southern Illinois so the weather is still cool at night and in the 60's during the day.
vickie
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:39 am Reply with quote

Hi Vickie
Just sit back and watch the show. My 3 boys are displaying for the hens, but none of them are paying attention yet. Our first eggs are usually laid in April. The first egg or two are usually infertile, so I pitch those. Many pea owners joke that we often see the mating dance and hear the calls, but rarely see them breed.

What do you have, and how old are they?
sherri

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:09 pm Reply with quote

I have 2 females that are 2 this spring and 1 male who is also 2. Then I have 2that will be 1 year old this spring. I noticed this morning that 1 of my Esther, one of the 2 year olds was on an outside roost making a noise early this morning. I can't remember what they are, I can't find the list that tells me what color they are.
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:13 pm Reply with quote

Hey Vickie ~ if your birds are younger than age 3, please don't be disappointed if you don't have chicks this year. Most birds become parents at 3. Your hens might lay a few eggs but they might not be fertile. We'd love to see some photos of your birds. If you can't find the paperwork, there are many people here with encyclopedic knowledge and they can tell you what you have. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote

If you peafowl are the India , they should breed this spring,and if the male has a small train, should hatch a few. India breed at 2 and greens at 3 yr.

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics