Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  stuffy nose?
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health     
suzy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote

When the boys come and eat out of my hand they sound like they have stuffy noses! is this possible? I hand feed them canned, frozen and fresh veggies could the noise be from the juices in the veggies? I don't notice it when we're in the barn or when they're roosting, I did lose a 2yr old male last week but I figured it was from being kept in a heated coop before he came here 2 months ago, he had been housed with 15 other birds in a 5x10 coop with a heat lamp, him and a hen were put in a pen with a small coop 4x4x4 that was packed with straw, they seemed to be doing fine but I found him dead the day after the really cold(-20) spell. The hen is doing fine and after quarrintine I put her with the boys, should I medicate their water just to be safe? everyones appitite is good and the boys body condition is good(can't touch the hen) am I just worrying needlessly? any info is appreciated! thanks, Suzy
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:02 am Reply with quote

You may want to put them on some antibiotics just to be safe. Also, some vitamins and electrolytes with probioitics ( I get a good one from RoosterBooster) since their enduring such cold temps, helps get them through the stress .
The probioitics will help re establish the good bacteria in the guyt that the anitibiotics wipe out, along with the bad bacteria.
Vet RX is good for stuffy noses too .
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health