Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  beak lesion partial beak missing
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health     
jan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:43 pm Reply with quote

7 yr old male has a lesion on the corner joint of his beak, upon closer inspection i found part of his lower beak is missing, midway back, same side the lesion is on. Maybe 1/4 inch in diameter.

All my birds are free range, he fights with the rooster occasionally. Initially thought it was an injury, treated for 5 days with penn 1/2 cc IM

He was acting a bit lethargic at first and his eyes looked a bit sunken, he is brighter now since the penn treatments and eyes look better, but he is till not quite right, thinking I should treat him with baytril for sinusitis. He is eating and drinking ok.

He is shaking his head and opening his mouth a lot, is that a sign he may be having trouble breathing? I am no way proficient in bird knowledge.
Really perplexed by the missing portion of his lower beak. I have had him on medicated feed for the last 5 days and wormed him with ivermectin orally.

I caged all the rest of the birds seperate from the sick male, 4 peafowl, 2 roosters and 1 chicken and fed them medicated feed and ivermectin in the water for 5 days as a precaution and they were due to be wormed anyway. All other birds seem fine.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
helen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:30 am Reply with quote

Hi, sorry i can't help you as i am new to all this, but i just wondered how things were going. I am sure someone with expert knowledge will be along soon.
jan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote

Helen thank you for replying i see no one else has yet and he seems a bit improved but still not well I started him on baytril
Does anyone know how many days to give the baytril for?
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote

Hi Jan
If you're using the tablets or liquid, treat for 3 days. If you're using injectible, I've never dosed more than once. Let us know how he looks, okay?

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote

Could you take a picture of his face so we can see what is happen???? Thanks
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health