Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Is this a IB?
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » PHOTOS     
BigByrd24
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I am sorry to ask a stupid Question like this but I am new to this peafowl thing. Confused I was told that all of them are full IB. So I hope someone can help.

Since this pic his neck is more blue.
All of the hens look the same very hard to tell them apart

Last edited by BigByrd24 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:44 pm Reply with quote

Beautiful Blues you have there, BigByrd. And your IB hens are just like mine - it's very difficult to tell them apart. I've had to look for the tiniest detail to know who's who.

Also, I've learned that there are no "stupid" questions. Ask whatever is on your mind, as there are some incredibly knowledgeable breeders here and they are willing to share their experiences. When I have questions, this is where I ask.

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:47 pm Reply with quote

Thanks featherhead.
How can you tell how old they are?

Tim
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quote

Did the seller tell you their age? Aging birds isn't very easy for me. How long was the male's tail this past summer? If it was rather short, say about a foot long, he's probably a 2-yr-old. At age 3 and above, his train will be 4-5 feet. My oldest male has several train feathers that are just short of 6 feet. He's around 15 years old. Does that help, or do we need to call in the "big guns"?

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

Based on the photo of the Blue Male, I would say he is about 2 years old. I base that on the spur length of his left leg in the photo. It looks to be about one half inch long at this point. Yearlings are generally about one eighth inch long and 3 year olds are about one inch or slightly longer.

I also notice that his saddle right behind his neck still has some graying or striping mixed in the green. It should be solid green if he is a 3 year old or older. Another thing I notice is that he has no white feathers left on his head only his white fleshy skin stripes and no white on the bottom of his chest consistant with a yearling. So, I think he is older than a yearling.

There is a little green coloring coming in the edge of his train but no real noticeable eyes as of yet. His secondary feathers right below the strips on his wings still have some edge stripes on them also and not the blackish-green iridescence that an older male would have.
Like the one in the picture hanging down by itself covering the orange primary feathers. The ones above it, up to a point, will be like that one dark feather(no stripes) in an older male.

Lastly, it could be the lighting but his neck still has a greenish tent to it instead of that beautiful adult(3 years old or older) peafowl blue which is also consistant with a younger bird. All of that greenish color will fill in with the same blue that is at the base of the back of his neck.

An observation of the hens would lead me to believe they are same age as he is. They just don't have that older fuller body look a breeder hen would have. They still look young to me. The one hen who's head is behind the limb perch has not gotten the thickness to her little train. Older hens feathers on their back are a bit thicker near the end of their tail feathers than these appear.

I'm no expert for sure but I study birds rather closely. Maybe too closely.
Does anyone else notice anything to the contrary?
Confused

BigByrd24
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Featherhead and KC. The woman said, all the hens laid this summer. And for the Peacock she said he was not younger then a 2 yr old. Who knows tho? This lady had like 40 birds. The male has got eyes starting on his train now. I will try to put up some more pics this weekend.
Thanks
Tim

Last edited by BigByrd24 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
BigByrd24
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:13 pm Reply with quote

This are the most recent one I have so far. Hope this helps!!
Thanks and take care
Tim
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » PHOTOS