Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Winter Feeding
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health Goto page 1, 2  Next    
FarmerGreen
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:22 am Reply with quote

Hi Folks.. Very Happy I hope everyone has had a GREAT season. I have a question about winter feeding. I have heard that whole deer corn is good to feed in cold weather. Is it OK to feed whole deer corn everyday? We are having an early winter here in NC and have had some very cold nights. Shocked I have been giving my birds whole deer corn everyday along with thier usual game bird grower. I also give cabbage every other day or so. I discovered that they love pumpkins as well. I guess my question is am I going to make my birds too fat giving them deer corn everyday? Shocked Also is there anything else I can be doing to make sure my birds stay warm on these very cold nights? Thanks folks for any info on this. Smile Smile Smile
FarmerGreen

JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote

Hello Farmer Green,

I cannot help you with the food question. I would like to hear the answers to that.

I can, however help you with the cold issue. I live in Northern Minnesota. We have already had temps in the single digits. I just made sure there were no direct drafts, yet they still need air to circulate, so I have a small trap door leading outside open. I piled the floor with straw very thick. I even piled some around the trap door to make the hole smaller. Last year my blue adults faired just fine with no heat in there. We can get several weeks of 20 below temperatures. I currently have a heat lamp in there because I have babies and that is a new one to me. So I felt safer to try to keep the temps in the mid 30's. I will be getting a small radiator heater that heats and circulates oil for inside. No fire or burning hazards. Still I plan on keeping the temps just in the mid 30's. Just enough to take the chill out.

Although my crazy babies insist on roosting outside in the pen! What is with that?! They did roost inside one night when it got down right cold. I hope some sense comes into their brain when it gets real, real cold.

I tell ya I don't think you will have nearly the cold where you live. I say lots of straw (not hay because it breaks down quickly and creates a fine dust like you wouldn't believe!) and no direct drafts or winds. That gets them more than the cold. You should be just fine.

Let me know what you end up doing.

FarmerGreen
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Jennifer. Very Happy I cannot comprehend 20 below temps! Shocked Shocked Shocked The coldest we have had here is 14. Confused And to me that is COLD!!! Laughing I have a small barn with straw piled in the bottom about 3 ft deep. But like yours, my peas insist on roosting on TOP of the barn instead of IN it. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes The coldest I have ever known it to get here in NC is single digits. I worry about my flock but they seem to do just fine in the cold temps. Confused Confused A wise breeder told me about the whole deer corn to keep them warm at night. I just don't want to overdo it and make them too FAT. Wink Does anyone else have any comments on the deer corn thing?? Question Question Thanks All Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
FarmerGreen

featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote

Hey FarmerGreen - so good to hear from you again. Hope you've been well.

The gamebird mix I feed year-round (NutriSource) contains whole corn. During the summer, the birds eat the corn last. During the winter, they eat the corn first. I wouldn't think they would get too fat if you hand out the corn in moderation. With the feed mix I use, the corn appears to be about 10% of the formula, probably a little less. Corn might have a decent protein and fat content, but the pellets contain essential nutrients.

I live in between you and Jennifer. I must say I envy your relatively mild winters compared to Kentucky. On the other hand, I'd like to have a little less heat during the summer like MN. We'll get down to single digits sometimes, but only for a night or two. Although my birds aren't sissies, I am. When temps are predicted at 20 degrees or below, I shepherd the peas into their barns. (Only the oldest two will go inside on their own during inclement weather. Old bird = smart bird!) I'm sure that all the people north of Indy/Cincinnati/St. Louis are laughing by now, but what the heck...

You said you are feeding gamebird grower. Do you ever feed the maintenance formula? Is it because of the difference in protein content? Just curious. And Jennifer, how old are your babies?

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:49 pm Reply with quote

Hey Featherhead.. Very Happy Yes...I have used the maintenence feed. Right now I am using grower because I have so many young ones in the pen. I put my 08 hatch in with my adults and everybody gets along OK. Very Happy I will switch over to maintenence once all the young ones are 8 months or older. I may slow down some on the whole corn.. Embarassed I also give them scratch grains as well. I am just hoping since we are having an early winter we will have an early spring as well!! Wink Wink Thanks for the replies Ya'll. Very Happy Very Happy
FarmerGreen

JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote

My babies were born between June 28th and the end of July.

I still feed the game bird starter/grower to my babies - which I am not sure when to switch to the adult game bird feed. The adults get game bird maintenance, they are just pellets. I intermix a chicken layer which has pieces of corn, grains and other fun stuff. I usually feed this mixture all year round. Of coarse your treats such as apples, squash, cucumers...most of the summer home grown veggies, fruits. They love cherios, dog food, well pretty much lots of things. They get treats about 3 times a week. They also still free range during the day, so they munch on grass and such. That will end when we actually get some snow. I don't think they will be interested in walking around in 1 - 2 feet of snow which usually stays around until april or so. I am so excited that we don't have any snow yet this year!

Oh and you would love the summer. We usualy get a week or so of possible days in the 90's...but very little if any humidity. Most summer days are in the 70's and 80's. Get in the shade with the nice breeze...ah! A far cry nicer weather than my home town of the Philadelphia suburbs!

Jeanna
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:55 am Reply with quote

Hello,

Hope everyone is doing well and their birds the same. And ready for a nice Thanksgiving.
Here in southern Indiana we have really not had too cold of a start to winter yet. A few nights at around 20-25 degrees. Probably very similar to Featherhead's climate.

But we have already put heat on the javas and high percent spaldings in the way of their heated perch and at night inside their enclosure with a heater that keeps it above 45 degrees. We keep them inside a brooder house during the winter. It has a lower ceiling, and is fairly well insulated. So it is easier to heat. But they do go outside on sunny days that are not too cold. And so far this year all our days have been above freezing.

I do not know if I could stand your climate in the winter Jennifer, I am a wimp when it comes to cold weather. I am like the green birds, turn up the heat! Laughing

FarmerGreen regarding to your inquiry about whole corn. We are feeding whole corn to our birds. We pretty much feed it year round. But much less in the summer months. And during the summer they do not want to eat nearly as much whole corn. They usually prefer more vegetables and fruit during the warmer months.

As far as their main diet we feed Mazuri, and a feed we have ground here locally at our Co-op. It contains poultry blend, bean meal, alfalfa, whole oats, and corn.

But in the winter they love their whole corn, and we also give them black oil sunflower seeds, some small kibble cat chow, and bread. We also offer some healthy type cereals. Which they LOVE, the dried fruits and grains are a big hit during the winter. We just stay away from any with sugar coating or sugar added. Just fruits and grains. And now days there are a lot of healthy cereals out there to choose from.

I would not worry to much with getting them too fat for the winter. Most people I know worry about the opposite, making sure they have enough weight on them.

And then about 4-6 weeks before breeding season starts, we start to slowly decline the winter diet. And start focusing on vitamins, minerals, and more of a healthy less fatty diet versus a diet that will help keep them warm through the colder months.

Jeanna
FarmerGreen
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:56 am Reply with quote

Hi Jeanna... Very Happy Thanks for the reply. I am going to start giving mine some black oil sunflower seeds and cereals as well. I will not worry so much now about the whole corn. Wink I do like to give them a nice variety of foods. Cool I have heard though that dry dog food is better for them than dry cat food. Confused Confused Question Question I give mine purina adult dog food nuggets. It is never wasted as they eat it all up. Laughing Laughing At best it sounds like all our birds eat well. Wink Wink
I did have a misfortunate accident about a month ago. I use small trees to hold up the netting in my pens. I went out one morning and my Emerald Spaulding Male had got his head hung in a small fork in one of the trees and He had hung himself. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I have since made sure there are no more "forks" anywhere in the pens. I got him down and held him and was just so devestated that he was dead. Crying or Very sad He was just so Beautiful I couldn't bear the thought of burying him. I took him to a local Taxidermist and am having him mounted. It costs more than I can afford, but the Taxidermist is letting me make monthly payments. I should have him back by Christmas. Smile Smile He had been in that pen for 2 years and that fork was always there. I never saw it as a danger. Shocked You do everything you can to make them safe and then something so simple can kill them.
Thanks for all the replies folks and I hope everyone has a safe and Happy Thanksgiving and Christmas Holiday. Personally I look forward to SPRING!!!
Very Happy Cool Laughing Very Happy Cool Laughing

featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:42 pm Reply with quote

Oh, FarmerGreen, I'm so sorry to hear about your Emerald Spalding guy. That's truly a tragedy. When you said you'd sent him to a taxidermist, it brought back a memory from the other night. We were channel-surfing and caught a few scenes of the movie Cleopatra with Liz Taylor and Richard Burton. As a preface to the feast which was being brought in, servants carried a pallet with a beautiful stuffed peacock on board. It was quite a surprise; I guess when you have peafowl, you tend to notice them where others overlook them.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote

Hello FarmerGreen,

Glad to hear from you! I agree, and think our birds eat better than we do.

I am so sorry to hear about your emerald spalding. When I read that it brought tears to my eyes Crying or Very sad I also immediately went out to check the netting and the pens to make sure there was nothing that looked suspicious of being dangerous. Sometimes it seems you think you have done everything, checked and double checked, and then something totally unexpected, something you just can't believe happens. Once again, I think we all can feel your sorrow and send our best wishes for you.

Instead of winter coming, I personally wish it was spring coming too. This will be our first winter with the pure javas and I have been worried about the cold. Think we are ready, but me being the worried one that I am I keep my husband Kevin busy with all these "wonderful ideas" of what we need to be doing. Glad he is the patient one. Wink And if you or anyone has any advice please let me know as I am concerned

Will try the dog food, and thanks for the tip. The peas are so funny sometimes. If we put something new in their bowls they walk up slowly with their necks stretched out, feathers standing on end, (kids say, "their collars are up") quickly picking at it like it is going to bite them back. You have to love them!

Hope santa is good to you and everyone this holiday season.

Take care,
Jeanna
FarmerGreen
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:52 am Reply with quote

Thanks Featherhead & Jenna, I appriciate it. Smile Jenna, I too am new to Javas. I hatched one last year and I hatched 2 this year. I got these eggs from a lady who lives near me who has been raising peafowl for over 40 years. She knew Rodney Michaels and her Javas are from his line. I expressed my concerns about them getting too cold in the winter. Shocked Her advice was this: Do NOTHING! They can take it! Shocked Shocked I have done nothing and so far so good. My Java, Xzavier, That I hatched last year is doing well and is a Beautiful Male. I did nothing extra to keep him warm last winter and he did fine. The 2 young ones I hatched this season are doing OK as well. I weaned them off the light bulb at about 2 months old and they are doing fine. They do have other peas thier age in with them. They all just huddle together on the cold nights and so far no problems. She also told me (and this kinda makes sense to me) That if you try to keep them warm and they get used to it then it makes them weaker and more succeptible to the cold. I am sure that this advice is not good for someone with much colder winters than we have here in NC. She said she has NEVER did anything extra in the winter for her Javas and has NEVER lost one to cold. So I am just hoping for the best. Confused Confused Xzavier is the APRIL photo on the 2009 UPA Calendar. I am soooooo Proud of him. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Cool And he is getting SO Pretty. He is my youngest bird from last years hatch and is the Biggest one. I hand raised him and he is not afraid of me, but he also has more of an "attitude" than any of my other Peas.
Thanks again and HAPPY THANKSGIVING To ALL Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Washy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:03 pm Reply with quote

I was glad to read all of this as it seems I am doing the right thing for my young peas. I am feeding a maintenance mix for quail and pheasants and they also get a helping of corn. I have been using sunflower seeds as a temptation to get them to go into the shelter at night but it has been so cold lately that they have already been inside when I go to shut them away but I give them the seeds anyway. They sit on the floor just inside the door and when I shut the door they make a certain sound.....and of course I say goodnight to them!!!

I am thinking of giving them rolled oats for extra warmth, does anyone use this? We have crushed corn over here but what is whole deer corn please?

I am amazed at how much they have grown, they are not fat by any means but have more than doubled in size in three months. I had to pick the female up yesterday to check out a toe that seemed to be bleeding and I was please she was quite an armful, I hope I do not have to pick up the male - I will need an extra pair of hands.

UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote

Hi Washy ~ I've never fed rolled oats, but someone else probably has. Maybe we'll hear from them.

Whole deer corn is another name for whole corn. It's the whole corn kernel that hasn't been cracked or crushed. Many of us feed this to deer, but other animals enjoy it too.

I like Jeanna's idea of feeding cereals like Cheerios and etc. Those would probably be very good for the peas. Early each winter, we trim the holly trees back a little bit. All the trimmed branches go directly to the peafowl and they love holly berries. Plus, we get a bonus after the seeds pass through their systems - we get several tiny holly trees sprouting in the aviaries. When the trees get 5-6 inches tall, I transplant them in another area.

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:09 am Reply with quote

Hi Washy.. Very Happy I live in the South and Deer Corn is readily available everywhere. Even Wal-Mart sells it. Shocked A very wise breeder whom we all know told me to feed deer corn in the winter months to help keep the peas warm. It is simply the whole kernnel corn as Jenna said. I also have given my young peas the frozen corn (thawed & warmed of course). Wink Canned corn is not good as it has salt in it. I don't know how I would have ever raised my Peafowl without the help of all the nice folks on this forum. Smile Smile Smile You are never too old to learn and there are some very WISE Folks that are more than willing to share thier experience with you. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy All you gotta do is ask. It sounds to me like your Peas are well Loved and that is a very important part of thier "diet" as well. Very Happy Very Happy Good Luck and Thanks to all the GREAT people who make this a very educational forum. MERRY CHRISTMAS to ALL!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

babypeas
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:23 am Reply with quote

Hello Guys,

I havent been online for a while and was starting to get with drawel symptoms!

Washy, I give mine rolled oats in with their salad mixture and dried meal worms they love them I also add a tiny drop of olive oil someone told me was good for their feathers? and a little yoghurt mix it all up well and they gobble it!

They are still on a mixture of chick crumbs and growers pellets. I was wondering if it would be ok to give them some peanut granules as a christmas treat? They will be SIX months old at christmas!!! Can someone tell me if thats ok?

I havent given them whole corn yet as I wasnt sure how old they need to be?

I get really confused when you all talk about temp as I'm not very good at degrees and celsius I like small numbers for cold and big numbers for hot!!!! So I know its freezing when is 0 and I know its hot when its 80 here in the UK but I know I'm using both measurements!!!! Mine are in the barn with a heat lamp full time at the moment as pea palace is STILL not built! So they only get out for their garden walks Crying or Very sad

Anyway hope everyone is good. Love you all and Happy Christmas!!!!

xxx

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health Goto page 1, 2  Next