Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Pumpkin seeds and buttermilk?
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health     
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:33 am Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of using pumpkin seeds and buttermilk as a preventive (multiple) wormer?

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:49 pm Reply with quote

A big poultry friend of mine just last weekend commented that pumpkin seed has a natural worming agent. I told him that in the fall and winter we give the birds squash and pumpkin from the garden and they just love it!!
So, I was thinking, NO WONDER my birds stay so healthy. I do worm twice a year, but not the free range birds. When I have had to catch a free range bird I always marvel at what good condition (and how fat) they are.
So it makes sense. From now on, Im planting more pumpkin!

UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:30 pm Reply with quote

Well, Im glad I'm not the only one who has heard/read this. A couple of local featherheads were discussing pumpkin seed and buttermilk last month and it intrigued me. They swear by it, and have been using this method for longer than I've been alive. Interesting, huh? Makes you want to buy some of those leftover Halloween pumpkins for the poultry.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:15 pm Reply with quote

My birds went wild over the pumpkin seeds I had left over after scraping out the pumpkins for Halloween, I shall have to think about buying them from now, and planting them next season.

Washy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:47 am Reply with quote

Hi all,

I thought this such an interesting article started and I wish it would go somewhere..Now,,my birds love the pumpkin and squash---well anything really---THOUGH, I had not heard of them being natural wormers..I have heard though of Black Walnuts,,,has anyone heard of this.. MY question though is---------- WHY,,, what in it would make it a wormer?? Does anyone know? And if so--------what else is out there maybe?? Would it not be nice to be able to give our birds something they love to worm them. I feed alot of pumpkins this fall but I could not say either way on the wormer as I wormer 5 to 6 times a year regardless...This may be a really good question for Dr. Theresa in our magazine. As it make a person wonder---You rarely see a free ranged bird that needs to be wormed. Why is that?? I have seen some people that after years have had to worm but not even close---to what penned birds need? Interesting and it would be nice if anyone has done any research on this subject...Anyway----Would love to see this go somewhere...Julie
kat
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote

I agree with you Julie. Why dont you do the research on this and write an article for Peafowl today. Id sure love to know more about it too. I am SURE theare are people in the poultry wolrd that know this.... you just have to find them. I usually use the "Chicken doctor" as my answer man... you could try him first. He is very helpful. Here is his web site.

http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:37 am Reply with quote

I am going to post this on another forum and see what comes out of that..There seem to be some very knowlegdable people on that forum..I thought, that maybe Featherhead would have looked into it a bit more. I REALLY WISH SOME OF THE OTHER BREEDERS WOULD CHIME IN ON THIS SUBJECT. I know that none of the vets that I know---know diddly about peafowl. So asking them is mute--------I will try. I thought maybe that Dr. Theresa who is in there would maybe know..A year or so back I had a gal from Canada---want to come down to my place and do a research article on the breeding habits of the birds. I wonder if I could find her. She wanted to stay the summer to watch and observe. It didn't pan out as I did not have the common colors she was looking to do the article on...Julie
kat
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:26 am Reply with quote

Another person you might try is K.J. Theodore. Here is a link to her poultry medical articles she writes for the Poultry Press. http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/contents.htm
VERY knowledgeable poultry breeder and her occupation is in chemistry (or something lol)
Her article on Oxine convinced me to use it regularly.

UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:07 pm Reply with quote

I've already submitted this question to Dr. Morishita to see if she has any input. Should be interesting...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:07 am Reply with quote

That sounds good. I posted it on the other forum..Normally these people have way more to say than you want to hear..But so far all the BIG talkers over there have not chimed in. But I am really interested in this..I haven't had the time to get into it myself..But will slowly try..Thanks for asking Dr. Theresa...I hope she has some anwsers..I will get ahold of this last person Kat said to..
Washy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:56 pm Reply with quote

Jadobber mentioned black walnuts in a posting above. I can confirm that the leaves and the black outside coverings of the walnuts can be infused in alcohol (not your best vodka......) and after a month or so this infusion can be painted on the inside walls of beehives and is efficace against the bee mite varroa, as a bio alternative to covering your bees in chemicals. I live in an area here where there have been varroa mites and I have never used chemicals in my hives and I have never had a problem, which proves nothing as we are ver remote here, but I like to think it was useful. We have a bigger problem here with aggressive oversized wasps and hornet killing the bees. I do not know the chemical composition of this, it smells bad though!! Maybe the bees inhale the vodka, get stoned and the mites don't like the smell..LOL.....who knows????

I do not sell my honey but if I were a registered bee keeper then I would be obliged to use the preferred chemical for this area, so sshhhhh don't tell anyone......

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health