Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Color Help? Anyone?
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » PHOTOS     
Desert Wind
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:33 pm Reply with quote

We hatched this chick this summer. The bird is now about three months old.
The cock is a Black Shoulder and he was running with an India Blue Hen and a Silver Pied Hen. We're not sure which one this chick was from.
Can anyone out there help?
The chick has white shoulder patches and numerous white flights. Is this normal for young chicks? Also, we're not sure if the white is a throat latch patch or if again, this is normal.
Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanx muchly! There are three links here below........as we haven't figured out yet how to post pix on this site.

http://groups.msn.com/DesertWindArabians/fostersfeatheredfriends.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=292

http://groups.msn.com/DesertWindArabians/fostersfeatheredfriends.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=294

http://groups.msn.com/DesertWindArabians/fostersfeatheredfriends.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=293[/img]
Kevin
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:00 am Reply with quote

The chick is out of the silver pied hen. He is a white eyed split most likely for white(and definitely also split for black shoulder due to his father being one.. that has nothing to do with the white on this chick though). He does look like he probably will have a small white patch on throat.

I say he is white eyed as he is showing a slivery tint with a 'sugar frosted' look, this is typical of white eyeds.

The white on wings is not 'normal' for chicks, as in blue chicks do not show white feathers like this, not even at hatch. But it is normal for birds that are split for white, or are pied/dark pied. In other words.. if you cross a blue with a white, you will get blue birds with more or less the same amount of white feathering in the same places as this bird. Same thing with crossing a pied with a blue(or a black shoulder in your case..)

As for the white on face, young birds of both sexes do have it, the boys start losing that as they develop the blue coloring on their necks & faces. However on your bird, the white seems to be 'a bit bigger than usual' which may indicate he will have a small white spot on his chin. This is also common for split white birds or birds with pied in them.
jadobber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:59 am Reply with quote

Hi there,

My guess is that your black shoulder male is split. Because if I am not mistaken--the bird should have turned out to be Split to pied and white and black shoulder...The amount of white on the boy to me indicates that your black shoulder male has a pied gene in him. Have you ever noticed any white flights on your breeder male???Even 1.. Sometimes a bird shows nothing. I could be wrong but I don't think so...Julie
Desert Wind
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:10 am Reply with quote

Thank you both for your help. I assume that this chick is a male then? That was our guess but we weren't sure if we could tell this young. At least we're learning. No, we don't see any white on our Black Shoulder male, but are completely in the dark as to his breeding, so, yes, I guess there could be something else in him.
Is there any way of telling at this age how many "white eyes" he will have? If this turns out to be a hen, will she have any different markings that may develop? What else should we be watching for?
Thanx again for your help Cool
Kevin
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:22 pm Reply with quote

Yes this bird is a male. Females of this age already clearly show the adult female pattern- solid back with lacing on the neck, as shown in this picture of a female peachick by another forum member very recently posted in another thread:http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc29/upaforum/peasoct002.jpg and http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc29/upaforum/peasoct003.jpg . Notice what part of her back you can see is already solid colored. Your bird is heavily 'barred' on his back, this is typical of young males.

As for the possibility of the black shoulder having pied, if you repeat this breeding with the silver pied hen next year and hatch more chicks, if any obviously pied(as in patches of white elsewhere on body away from the wings and chin) chicks show up then it's proof he has it. It's even easier to find out by putting white hens with him as splashy pieds are birds with both pied and white genes in the same bird. If no pieds result out of him and white hen, then he does not have the gene.

BTW, split whites and pure pieds(dark pieds) very often look identical.. without knowing their background, the only way to be sure is by test mating to a white bird. As in if the bird in question produces whites, then it was a split white. If it produces 100% pieds, then it was a dark pied. Some people say split pieds often have no white on them at all.

It's not possible to tell how many white eyes he will have. I've had both boys with no white tips in their baby feathers mature out to having every single eye having a white spot and baby boys with tons of white tipping all over their backs mature out to either zero white spots in eyes or just a few.

Female white eyeds look same as blue hens, except all the brown areas is replaced with a gunmetal(silver) color. They also can have randomly placed solid white feathers over the backs & tails. A Many hens don't have any white feathers or may not grow any during one particular year-the amount can change from year to year, but usually it's more or less stable in number.. some hens grow up with little or no white feathers and then as they get old, it increases in number.
Desert Wind
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:10 am Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you for your valuable info. Will see what transpires from this little guy nicknamed "Frosty" right now!
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » PHOTOS