Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Hello from the south of France
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Introductions     
Washy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:38 am Reply with quote

Hi there. I am a newby to this forum, and to keeping peafowl. I am also quite a newby to computing in general, but I really need this forum......

I am picking up my first peafowl tomorrow. I have been on the internet for weeks learning about peafowl so that I give them the best start possible. I have posted a question about sexing and keeping males together in the main section of the forum.

I am english but now live in a very remote area of France in the Languedoc, I have no near neighbours, which is probably good considering the noise peafowl make!!

I have llamas, goats, dogs, loads of cats, tortoise hens and cockerels and a husband.......we took early retirement to care for our animals which are all rescued. The temperatures here range from 100 degrees plus in the summertime to well under minus 14 in deepest winter.

We live in a secluded watermill dating from the 13th century which was a complete ruin that we are gradually renovating but it is taking ages as our animals are our priority, but who cares we are having fun. When I have a moment free from the animals I make jewellery and paint watercolours.

All of our animals free range in the day and the chickens and soon to be peafowl will be housed in the llama pen as they are great guardians and will squeal loud if there are any foxes or weasles about. I know I will not be able to let out these peababies for ages so we have built an enclosure in a polytunnnel.

OK I look foward to gleaning more information from this forum.

Thanks Washy

UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quote

Welcome, Washy. Sounds like you have a lot of fun with your animals and property. (I'm partial to the fact that your critters are rescues.) Do you paint your land, animals, or both? It has to be quite a job to restore such an old mill. What kind of jewelry do you make?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quote

Thanksw for your interest. I have just arrived home after a hectic day picking up my new and first baby peacocks so I am really excited, more about that in another part of the forum I expect.

Yes I do paint the scenery here, it is very spectacular as we are in the foothills of the pyrenees, and I also paint flowers, I expect I will also paint peacocks soon as well.....

For the jewellery I am working in lots of media and plan to mix them as well. Mainly Art Clay silver and Bronzclay, with Fimo stamped and foiled. All this is self taught but it has been admired and I have made a few things already on commissions.

When I get a minute to learn how to upload photos I will post some paintings/jewellery on the Off Topic threads, mind you as the peababies are quite large I can imagine my husband and I will be out there tomorrow starting the flight made out of a polytunnel that we had thought we would have months to build......LOL

I am already impressed by the speed of the reply to my first question on here and to the wealth of information I can learn.

Washy

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Introductions