Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  New to peafowl
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing     
dlhumphrey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote

Hello,

My wife and I am new to pea fowl and have a few questions.

In the past, we have gleaned a lot of valuable information from different forums and have a few questions regarding pea fowl.

My wife and I are loking at getting three pea chicks around the first of October. We have other animals (dog, cat, chickens, fish, parrot, goats, donkeys) so are aware of the different needs.

We currently live on 2 acres with about 1/3 of it fenced with chain link.

Our intention is to keep them penned for awhile until they get used to their surroundings and then let them roam.

Is this realistic? Would they stay or would we need to keep their wings clipped?

Another question is the noise. I hear them in the park and don’t find it obnoxious but wonder about the neighbors.

Is it mostly during mating season? Is it constant or just certain times of the day?

I know there will be plenty more questions.

Thank you.
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote

I can attest to the fact that peacocks are known to roam for many many miles, no matter how long you keep them penned up first. Then again, some will stay put on your property after being penned up for a while. I've had it go both ways.
As far as clipping the wings, that would be detrimental to the birds in that they could not fly to get away from many types of predators. ( of course there are predators that will get them in trees also, coons and so forth. Also, it would not keep them from simply " walking off ". Wink
Yes, they are more noisy during the breeding season and all day long, for the most part. lol.
Your neighbors may or may not find them annoying . My neighbors seem to love to yell etc. just to get my peacocks "started" .
There are several knowledgable people here that will hopefully chime in with their advice soon also.
Good luck with your new birds to be !
Washy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:21 am Reply with quote

Hello there, we will have to compare notes, I picked up my first pea fowl yesterday and have been in a panic ever since if you read my other posts, 'Am I the craziest etc....'

I had imagined getting them here and letting them roam immediately with our chickens, now I have read loads of info on different websites and forums in France and the USA and I realise I have quite a lot of work to do and we will need loads of patience.....

We are in a very remote place in the mountains and have no near neighbours, but we are errecting a poly tunnel frame which we will cover with wire and netting and put a closeable pea house inside. At the moment they are in a small chicken ark, later today they will be in a small flight we had intended for our chickens, with inside accomodation at night, then in a couple of weeks into the very large 40ft poly tunnel, tafter that it is my dream to eventually let them roam. I now realise that this is going to take training and I will need to get the peafowl into a routine.

Burdgirl's posting about 'many miles is disturbing for me but I am hoping they will become as attached to me as our goats, llamas and chickens who follow me everywhere.

Here is a link to a page that shows exactly the same flight as we are building, I will also have a section at one end for my greenhouse.

You have to scroll down quite a way to see the polytunnel pictures.

http://www.geocities.com/japaneseakitas/birds.html

Good luck and I look forward to hearing how you get on.
Washy

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing