Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Sand and bugs
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing     
Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:55 am Reply with quote

Right now I have all my peacocks on hay as a ground cover. They have some kind of reddish broun bugs stuck on their necks. They have pecked their neck feathers off. I have given them Ivomec in their water and sprayed for fleas and ticks. If I put sand in their pen would that help knock the bugs off? Cover the whole pen with sand or leave some hay? Please I need advice. Thanks
DMFarms
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote

Debbie sounds like you have mites try putting seven dust on them and put the ivomec on the birds instead of in the water. I would put some sand in the pen so they can take a sand bath the sand want knock the bugs off but they need it to clean themself.
Doug
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:47 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Doug for the quick reply. Are you saying I should put the seven dust and the ivomec on the birds at the same time? Or should I put one on then wait and then put the other on? I bought some sand today for them so that should make them simi-happy. Thanks
barracuda
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:14 pm Reply with quote

For a non chemical
Make sand box so they can take a dirt bath and put diatomaceous earth layer on sand. also theres hand crank chemical dusters that I use diatomaceous earth and dust the pens
Very Happy
Yahoo Messenger
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:06 am Reply with quote

Who carries diatomaceous earth? I found some on the internet but I'd like to get it quicker.
I don't want my "family" to suffer any longer. Thanks
barracuda
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:57 am Reply with quote

You might find some at home and garden, Nursry stores. I think home depot may have it in the insectacide area in small bag. I found a lot better deal on line though

http://www.shadowridgedonkeys.com/contact.htm

Is where I bought from
There are 2 types Food grade & insectacide grade: food can be put in food for worms and the other can be dusted on bird and pens both are safe, just avoid birds breathing
large large amount in dust cloud!
Also put in with your stored feed and will help keep bugs from making a problem there also.
This is a product that food companys use as an additive in flour, pancake mix, ect.
Hope this helps
Yahoo Messenger
DMFarms
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:34 pm Reply with quote

I have never use DE some say it works and some say it don't. It is fine ground seashells and when the parisites eats it it cuts up there insides and kill them. If they don't eat it it want kill them that why I have alway use ivomec if the mites bites the bird it will died. I would use one at a time. We take seven dust to dust our pens and birds. If they are bad on them I would use seven dust 5% or scalex both of these will kill the mites.
Doug
Indigo
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote

I have had great success with DE keeping the earthworms out of my pens. We get a lot of rain and earthworms are bad here in East Texas. As for mites I had a peacock get mites so bad he died because I thought I was protected by using the DE. I now use the 5% Sevin dust,Ivermec, and Scalex. That way I'm sure of having no mites again.
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:53 pm Reply with quote

They peck the ground all the time. All of these are safe to put on the ground and then have them peck ?? Also I'm thinking of letting them all out so should I try to get rid of the bugs before letting them out or letting them roam might take care of their bugs?? Thanks
suzy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quote

anyone looking to get DE should find the closest feed mill, they use it as anticaking agents, I pay .40 cents a pound, it's also used in people food try a big bakery. Suzy
Sonoita
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:10 am Reply with quote

DE only works to kill insects if the DE is dry.

babypeas
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:44 am Reply with quote

Sorry to sound dim but why are earthworms a problem? Cant the peas eat them? Would they be the same as th earthworms we have in the UK? I'm sure mine have eaten some when I've had them out on the lawn, and slugs is that bad?

xxx

UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:18 pm Reply with quote

Earthworms can carry other worms. These other worms are the reason you worm your peafowl. Earthworms can carry capillary worms, and possibly gapeworms as well. If you keep your peas on their wormer medication, they shouldn't be a problem.

There's a wealth of knowledge on the UPA website www.peafowl.org

Go the the Knowledge Base and click on the articles. You will learn a LOT about every imaginable illness. There are also treatments listed.

Don't panic over your birds eating earthworms or insects - that's natural for them. But it is immensely helpful to know what they can carry and how to prevent problems. If you have any questions about the articles, just post them here. Lots of people will be willing to help.

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:06 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Featherhead,

I just sat and read pretty much all those articles! Bit scary but I'd much rather be informed and know what to look out for.

I took Venus and Milo to the vets and she wormed them with panacur and gave me some in syringes to give them in 10 days. Do I need to get some Ivomec (have I got that right?) too? They loved going to the vets and everyone had to come and look at them preening on her exam table!!!

xxx

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing