Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Pen size
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing     
Worlim

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:11 am Reply with quote

Next spring will be the first year that I will be breeding Peafowl of my own, I have been hatching for a friend for the last couple years. Now I will have my own.

What size pen do I need? How high of flight pen is required to not only be sufficient but make them happy? What kind of housing/shelter is required?

I'm thinking of letting my yearlings free range with the chickens. They follow their seregate mom around fairly well. The barn is large, their is plenty of room. Or will this create a problem later if I need to catch them?

glen
DMFarms
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:45 pm Reply with quote

All of our pens are 10x30 6' to 7' tall with a 10x10 being cover to get out of the weather we use a 2 in. netting on top it will give if the bird fly up and will not hurt them like metal wire could. Here in Texas we have mild winters and all of our pens are open in the front you might want to enclose it to help protect them from the cold.
Doug
jadobber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:19 am Reply with quote

Hi there,

In Ohio, you are going to need more protection than what Doug has mentioned. I so hate the heat----but I am jealous that down south they need less "housing" than we need..There heating bills most likely are something we would give are right arm for. Though in WI ---my Javas are the only birds that I keep heated in the winter.. Doug's pen size is great. Mine are all 12 by 24 or larger..With half the pen inside a shed---Most of mine jump out the window to get to there outside pen..Then I have some larger ones with leanto's on them but in the winter months I do not keep any peafowl in these---only pheasants that seem crazy enough to like our WI weather....I also use all 2 or 1 inch netting. But you could just put up a nicer weather breeding pen and then when the breeding season is done put them back together with the other birds..I put alot of mine together for the winter. .. ... Very Happy Very Happy
bcraft

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:51 pm Reply with quote

Another thing here in Ohio . Have seen top netting break under heavy ice storms. Glen check out some of the UPA members web site. lots of ideas on pens. Yes you can let them free range , but beware of dogs and etc. Pen the hens up in the spring or something will get them when they go setting. No heat on my birds,but they do have barns with small doors.

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing