Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Peacock as a pet
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » General Discussion     
RandalG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:27 am Reply with quote

Hello all,
I've been lurking here for awhile to try to learn about these beautiful birds. A friend of mine who lives in upstate NY has a black shouldered peacock that does well in her climate. I see it seems most people are breeders here but living in a suburb of Chicago and not having much space in my yard or the time or desire really I'd still like to have a peacock as a pet as we are a very pet oriented family and my kids are thrilled with the idea. So I do have a few questions.

1. What would be the minimum space required for a pen if one just had one male bird.As I said my yard is not that big so space is limited.

2. What breed would do well in my climate.I leaning toward either a Black Shoulder or India Blue.I also like the Burmese Green but from what I've read the climate is too cold in my area for one to do well.

3. Does anyone know of a breeder in the Chicago area. I saw Florence Cosmen listed in the directory who is really close to me but there is no contact info listed.

4.Is there a season for hatches? I'd like to start next spring on building a pen. I'm also leaning at starting with a chick as opposed to a yearling as I'd like it to feed out of our hand and grow up knowing us and it's surroundings.Feel free to comment on any pros or cons to going this route. Also how long before a chick can be put into a pen as I'm trying to time it so it's old enough to be in the pen for awhile before the following winter if that's even a concern I need to worry about.

Thanks,
Randal
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote

Hi RandalG, and welcome to the group. Might I make a suggestion? Because you're in the burbs, you might need to do a little more homework before adding peafowl to your family enjoyment. I'd hate to see your family forced to give up a wonderful pet.

1) Please check your homeowner's assosiation regs for deed restrictions. These will contain the words "poultry", "noise", "nuisance", etc. Peafowl make noise, and it is loud. If neighbors complain, you will be forced to remove your pet.

2) Check with your local animal control about the legality of owning poultry. Many county ordinances are specific; some are rather vague. Talk to the Director and ask specific questions. This is the enforcing agency for any complaints.

3) A lone male will be lonely and make lots of extra noise. Peafowl are social critters.

Hope I haven't discouraged you about these enchanting birds. Although our property is zoned AG-1, our local animal control occasionally gets a complaint on our 3 males. It's usually a new neighbor somewhere down the road who has never heard peafowl before. The new neighbor thinks some animal is being hurt or attacked, but it's just the boys carrying on. (Thank goodness they're usually silent at night!)

Blackshoulder or Blue would do well for you. We hope to hear more from you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:04 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for your response. I wasn't aware of such things.Looks like I'll need to do a little more homework and see if it's even allowed. We don't have a homeowners association per say so I suspect it will be a local ordinance in the village or county I live in.
FarmerGreen
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:01 am Reply with quote

Hi Randal.. Very Happy I can give a little advice on a Peacock as a pet. I have lots of peafowl but only 1 I would consider a "pet". Laughing I raised Eggbert from an egg and he is a real Pet. He will fly to my arm. He will ride on my shoulder, He LOVES to be petted and he will follow me around like a puppy. I have been told by other breeders that this may change when he gets ready to breed. Shocked Shocked He will be 2 yrs old Next spring. I do have other peafowl that will come up and eat right out of my hand. I try to make all my peafowl "people friendly". Very Happy But a peacocks behavior will change during breeding season is what I have been told. It is true as well that a single male will get lonely and loud during breeding season. I have a pair of India Blues that free range. They are both very friendly and will come running when I go outside and call them. They eat right out of my hand but will not let me pet them or handle them like Eggbert will. They are 3 yrs old. Peacocks can make great pets but in truth they do like a lot of space. I have seen Peafowl caged in small cages and it is kinda sad. The males can tear up thier beautiful trains if confined in too small an area. My suggestion is to move out to the country and get you several peafowl to watch and enjoy. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy GOOD LUCK!!!!!
FG

ostinjames

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:26 am Reply with quote

this discussion is full of useful comments, thanks for your work! http://bigessaywriter.com/blog/how-owning-pet-can-change-your-life will tell you how owning a pet can change the life fully!
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:27 pm Reply with quote

Interesting.
However owning peafowl can be a mixed blessing....they can drive you crazy bounce

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote

This is interesting subject. I hatched three eggs this spring, and since I had limited pen space I sold the most obvious pair. I kept the one I was not sure of the sex.
It is now assumed a female.
"She" lives with the chickens and is very attached to them, I was afraid to let her out to roam free, we have coyotes and eagle, hawk etc. So kept her in and let chickens out. She threw a fit and ran back and forth "honking" and just got too upset that I had to call all the chickens back in.
So now no one can come out and free range.
I have two questions...first one is can I trust letting her out with the chickens, she is now too huge for any attacks from anything except coyote.
Will she fly away or go to the trees and not come down to be locked up at night?
And second question...if I never get another peafowl will she be OK with just the chickens for companions? [one is her "MOM"]
I love her and want to keep her but don't want to cause her any suffering or unhappiness.
Are peahens OK with being the only peafowl?
My neighbors have peafowl close enough to hear yelling, will she want to go to them?
Do the females make as much noise? So far she just sort of honks at me, she talks a lot but not loud.
Thanks for any and all help!!!
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:35 am Reply with quote

Each peafowl is a different personality.....just like humans Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » General Discussion