Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  HATCHER OF DEATH
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care Goto page Previous  1, 2    
barracuda
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quote

Hello
The experience I have had is once a chick starts to pip and hole has started, If I open the incubator air and humidty escapes and the shell and membrain drys to the chick so quickly a matter of a few seconds that chick is for sure to have trouble leaving the shell, So trying to help maybe worse if I open incubator.
Wayne Smile
Yahoo Messenger
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote

Soggy,

I certainly can understand your concerns & frustration , however,
I have no choice but to be patient for it truly is best to let them do the work themselves so they can internilize that yolk sac, that's what they live off of for the first 3 days and is crucial in their survival.
You're risking a lot by helping them to the extent you do but, glad it's worked out for you and them, so far. Why don't you incubate them horizontally in your bator, surely you have the room ?
That's the way mother nature does it and IMHO, that's the best way to go .
I know some people do incubate them vertically but I THINK the main reason is for more room when hatching LOTS of eggs !

I'm sorry to hear about your Chloe and hope that dog does not devour anymore ! Once they "get that taste in their mouths" it can be hard to break them.

So far 2 of mine have hatched ( one more late last night) in this last batch of mine here and still have one struggling to get out as of early this a.m.
Yes, its hard to watch & wait per those that take too long to "break out". To be honest with you- when it makes it out on it's own- I expect problems with that chick ( perhaps leg problems ) for it's been struggling for too long now but since it's got air and warmth it's on it's own.

Have you got any books you can read up on over the winter to help you with your incubating? Rob Harvey wrote a good one called Practical Incubation .
I have it here and it's a good reference. Not peacock specific, just incubation basics.

Keep us posted dear !
bcraft

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:08 pm Reply with quote

My first time using the QGF incubator, had lots of dead chicks in the shell. Then started putting them in horizontally. Better hatch, then this year used the setting hen for the first week improve hatch rate. May not need to lay them horizontally after that first week. Will try a few next year.

As far as helping chicks out. I have but only after 24 hr. from the time they pipped. Most are weak. So I help very few out.

Disinfecting the hatcher, depends what you used. The wood could soak it up, and released it into the hatcher and killing the chicks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote

I am incubating some Marans and Araucana chicken eggs at the moment. I have been reading this thread with interest as I hope to be doing this next year with eggs from my pea hen. Humidity has not been a problem here for the last week as it has poured with rain every day and I have not had to add much water to the tanks. In the last three days I up the humidity by misting the eggs with a small spray bottle of water that I keep inside the incubator so that it is the same temperature as the eggs. Never after they have pipped through the shell as I don't want to drown them. I attempted to 'help' a chick out of the shell once and it died in my hands so never again, I do not think it is really recommended.

I have had good success with misting and will probably continue to do this when I hatch pea eggs.
Washy

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care Goto page Previous  1, 2