Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Hey ya hi ya!
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Introductions     
TriageRN_37

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote

Hello! Very happy to be a new member here!

I am a nurse from Oregon, and I have an acre that I have chosen to be about birds and gardens! I am very fortunate to have many gorgeous wild birds visiting my home feeders, and have started raising Pheasants (Ring Necked).

Being the local bird freak in this rural area, I tend to get people asking me lots of questions and giving me their birds (or rehab some wild ones). But, not having formal training on avaians (just learning as I go) does put me in a bind at times...and it is thanks to sites like these that I can really help our avian friends! So thank you in advance!

I got a Blue Peacock about a week ago. A farmer in a few cities away was re-zoned in their area (progress put a track housing unit on the adjacent few acres next to them), and they owned several range peacocks/peahens. Well...for people that can not understand that animals do have their delights and not so delightful features (like us humans...LOL!) they asked them (before making them) to loose these peacocks. I got one, and he is just a doll! This offer came on suddenly, but thank Goodness I was in a position to have the supplies needed to start work on his new pen right away...whew!

He is actually in a large pen with my pheasants for a week more till his very large enclosure is finished, and yes...I know I know...that isn't a great idea, but he is actually quite calm, and not harming anyone in the pen (yet)...In fact, my alpha male pheasant is Mr. Strut master now, and won't even take the peacock on, and the peacock seems to just acknowledge his authority and leaves him be! I got lucky from what I hear! But the new pen is underworks thanks to a donation of cyclone fencing from a friend and will be around 12 X 12' and 8 feet high (yes I will have a top) with an adjoining shelter that is 6' X 8' and 8' high with heat for winter and lighting (it was a bus shelter that we made for our kids, and they don't need it anymore...so transformation to a peacock home Smile. I will adjust things to allow for roosting areas for ample tail movement too...

People around here are rather ignorant about peacocks, and in fact...are going off information seen on a recent news blurb about the removal of peahens/cocks at our local zoo. Seems a small child was in the way of a peacock jumping down from an area, and got injured. So the parents demanded the removal of these precious birds that have been there since the zoo opened! They are now deemed as vicious kid killers...UHGGGG, and my neighbors didn't openly say it...but if I let my peacock be range...well, I am afraid in a day or two he would be found with buckshot in him (but it is okay for them to have their dogs loose in my yard, roosters crowing and attacking things in my yard, cows/tractors and atv's screaming all the time, a local helicopter nut flying his planes/helicopters day in and out two acres down, and the ever happening broken fence sending horses into my yard stomping/eating my gardens and fruit trees and upsetting my pets! UHGGGGG...when did the country living idea get so urban!!!!!!I assumed this happened and don't complain, but they had a fit when they saw my one blue peacock!)! So I will keep him in his pen for safety...and well...we can discuss this news article in the forum once I find it...it is basically one of those 'can of worm' subjects for me...LOL!

Anywhoooo...glad to be here and can't wait to get to know more about peacocks/hens and the people who love them!

Huggles,
TriageRN Smile Very Happy

Last edited by TriageRN_37 on Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
TriageRN_37

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote

Where are my mannors! I forgot to mention my other birds! LOL!
I have a Congo African Grey, Quaker parrot, *Cockatiel, Bobwhite Quails, Chuckars, *Parakeet, Gouldian Finches, and a Diamond Dove Smile. (*=donated from folks that didn't want them or were found outside).

Rehab= American Crow: Broken wing, sent to a rehab center in Oregon after mending the wing. American Goldfinch: hit a window and stunned but fine after a few days and returned to the wild. Red-tailed Hawk: hit by car on freeway, helped by local vets and sent to rehab once stablized. Trumpet Swan: hooked by fisherman in leg, leg broke...mended and also helped with cooperation of the Dove Lewis Animal Rescue Vets and re-released Smile. Also have to thank many a human orthopedic surgeons who helped even though they had to do research on birds, guess they love birds and rather like me too! LOL!

I actually wanted to be an avian vet since I was 7...but got a RN grant...so I went humans...Oh well. LOL! So I can't use a water squirt bottle on them when they are being mean or disruptive, but actually I talk calmly to them like my pets and they do mellow! LOL!!!!!!
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote

Hi Triage - You're gonna have a lot of fun here. Welcome! Love hearing the stories of your bird(s) and career. There's a ton of knowledge available here, and the members share graciously. They got me started a few years back and now we're hooked on peafowl. It's much more fun when you understand these birds and their needs, and that's what this group provides. Could you post a photo of your beautiful Blue?

And hey - is your local media making peacocks out to be Rottweilers or something?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:11 am Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the wonderful welcome!

Sadly, I must announce...my beautiful blue (named Baloo like the bear from Jungle Book) got spooked and got loose!!! My family and I went searching and saw him twice in our family's christmas tree farm...but dog gone those guys can really run and double back fast...we lost site of him. He is clipped (just one wing, three days ago in fact), and all the neighbors are on the lookout and promised not to hurt him (like notifying their kids not to harm him or go running after him), and let me know where he is sited.

Lucky for me, well...I guess it is, that nothing really is in season right now except for my garden (I have the only one in the neighborhood right now), so hopefully he will find his way back when hungry. I left out food and water as well. He is use to being a free range bird, so I am not too worried about him...but would love to have him back! He is really quick now that his train is molted off...uhgggg!

It does seem like the news was making peacocks off to be a vicious animal! But typically it isn't the animal at fault, but the human component! This situtation at the zoo was wrong place wrong time...with a large dose of humans being stupid and over-reacting! I sent a letter to the editor of the local newspaper saying "if the peacocks had to be removed for potential injury to humans, then you better round-up the squarels...they can bite you know and people try to feed them all the time! Or close down the petting zoo because I know those pigmy goats do bump you and nibble on you!" Uhgggggggggg!
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Introductions