Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Peafowl at Animal Shelters
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Classifieds Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next    
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:07 pm Reply with quote

There are 2 hens listed on www.petfinder.org that are available. The one in Gainesville NY appears to be an India Blue hen. The one in Quilcene WA looks like a silver pied hen to me. Please don't take the colors as gospel because I'm not well-versed on the colors.

If anyone could bail these ladies out, I'm sure the shelters would be grateful.

From time to time, about once every couple of months, there will be peafowl listed on petfinder. You might want to look there periodically.

I don't know if the shelters charge a fee (probably not), but they would love for these birds to go to someone who understands them.

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote

Hi,
Can't find the hens. What is the nunber on the Silver Pied hen? Or could you give me the web address? Thanks.

UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:26 am Reply with quote

Go to www.petfinder.org
From the pull-down menu, select "birds"
In the box that says "breed", type in peacock.
Hit "Search"
There will be 2 entries with photos and contact info. You can give them a call or email and see if the birds are still available.

Most shelters don't know the term "peafowl" so they use peacock.

UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote

Okay. I feel like the peafowl police, so please excuse me.

Once again there are several peafowl listed on petfinder. Males and females, pairs, plus one chick.

Follow instructions above for the petfinder site. They have photos of birds held at shelters in NY, PA, IA, CA, WA and Nanaimo BC

If anyone gets these birds, could you let me know? If there's not enough interest in getting the birds from animal shelters, I'll stop checking the site.

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:59 pm Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes I would like to know if there is any peafowl in our area that needs rescued.

I know all of us have our hands full with usually too many birds, not enough pens, high feed prices, endless chores, etc.

But if any peafowl in our area needs bailed out and are facing being euthanized if no one steps in (I do not know if these shelters are doing that if no home is found within a time period), but we would be glad to travel within reason to rescue them.

So again, yes I think it is a good idea to keep checking, and thank you for keeping us posted!

Jeanna
JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quote

I would LOVE to rescue any peafowl that need a loving home. So far, there are never any in the Minnesota area. I have contacted other shelters before about shipping them to me and they all almost yell at me for even suggesting such a terrible thing to do to the bird, but I keep trying!

Please do keep letting us know if you find them...I am still looking to save some!

featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:22 am Reply with quote

Thanks, folks. Those of you who know me understand that I'm an animal rescue volunteer. Have been for over 20 years. Also, be aware that city shelters often confiscate other poultry (chickens) and have no earthly idea what to do with them. All of our chickens are shelter chickens. Two were Easter chicks, day-olds, that one spouse refused to let her children have because birds are "dirty". They are now the most beautiful Leghorns you ever saw. Anyway, don't overlook the shelters. Call them and let them know you can take poultry. Ask them to keep your name & number on file. Meanwhile, I'll keep checking for peas.

UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:06 am Reply with quote

Here are birds listed in various parts of the country. Can someone take them?
http://www.petfinder.com/search/search.cgi?breed=peacock&tmpl=&preview=&animal=Bird&preview=&zip=40014[/url]

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:35 am Reply with quote

Featherhead! THANK YOU for checking on rescue birds!!!!!
I will see if there is anything near me.
~~~
It seems there is peafowl in a rescue shelter in Philly PA. thats a drive for me, but she also has pheasants and ducks... so if I hear back from them, I'll prolly be taking a road trip.

UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:49 am Reply with quote

You never know what will end up in an animal shelter - everything from goats to pot belly pigs, etc. Remember those day-old Easter chicks I mentioned? The city shelter staff called to ask if I wanted them and I said "yes". I asked how long they'd been there and if they looked okay. The answer went like this: "Well, they've been here for a couple of days. We gave 'em some water but don't know what they eat, so we haven't given them any food." Needless to say, I was there within an hour. If the animal(s) get sick or time runs out, they will euthanize them. The longer they remain at a shelter, the greater chance for illness.

If you are able to get some birds from a shelter, I'd love to hear the story and see photos. The shelters will not ship. Period. Even C.O.D., they will not ship, so you'll need to go get them. Don't know if there would be a fee, so please ask before you make the trip. If you rationalize the price of gas, the distance traveled, and your level of experience with these creatures, you can probably talk them out of any fees. You can go to www.petfinder.org and look for just about any fowl and there will be some... somewhere.

Jennifer, if I pull up anything in Indiana, you will be the first to know. Thanks for looking out for them.
JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote

I would so appreciate the heads up...except I am in Minnesota, not Indiana! Laughing

Fargo and Grand Forks, ND are two larger cities areas that are only two hours away.

I try to remember to check weekly, but never always remember.

Jeanna
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote

~Hello Featherhead~

I am located in Indiana, southwestern IN.

Jeanna Laughing
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:26 pm Reply with quote

Oops! Sorry - got you ladies mixed up. Embarassed Thank you.

UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:17 am Reply with quote

There's another peacock at a shelter in Ft. Lauderdale, if someone can get him out of there.
Go to www.petfinder.org
Select "bird"
Type in "peacock"
Hit "search"
The screen will ask you for your zip code.
There are 2 peafowl listed - the other is in Philadepphia and has been listed for months.
Can anybody help him?

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:09 am Reply with quote

It's unfortunate the shelters won't ship the birds! 12 hours of shipping is better than a week of neglect or getting put down!

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Classifieds Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next