Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Which one do you like?
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » General Discussion     
JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:24 pm Reply with quote

I have a choice between two mature males a Purple Silver Pied or a Purple Blackshoulder White Eyed which I am getting to go with my silver pied hen...which one do you like better? I just cannot decide. The purple silver pied male is a little heavier on the white than I would like.

peafowlboy
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote

I'd breed her to the Purple BS White-Eye. He's a beautiful bird.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:45 am Reply with quote

Hi there,

I would choose the purple black shoulder silver pied...First of all he is more valuable.,,,hence so will his offspring be..Second --He is correct...If a bird is said to be silver pied it should be at least 80 percent white..That is one of my hugh pet peaves ---when people call a white eye a silver pied--They are not..It takes 2 white eyed to make a silver pied..The problem with the PSP is that they all tend to wash out in the sun....He may have more color in him when he comes back from molt..All purple birds do this for some reason..Which I do not care for only because there coloring is so pretty that the washed out look gives them a really dull look.......Only my opinion..Buy the second bird....BUT in the end it is only YOUR opinion and YOUR color preference that matter..Buy what you like not what people tell you to buy---as the above is what I would choose NOT you...I stopped buying birds along time while ago that someone told me I had to have..Now I buy what I want...Julie
JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:21 am Reply with quote

Thank you for your replys.

Julie...I am a little confused...sorry. The pictures in my post are the purple black shoulder white eyed male on the top and the purple silver pied on the bottom. Which I know you know, but at first you said you would choose the black shoulder...then at the end you said buy the second bird...so you lost me! Laughing Personally...you would get the blackshoulder?

It is nice to know that the blackshoulder is more valuable. From what I have been told here - there are fewer different color varieties of offspring he will produce with my silver hen (that doesn't matter tho).

My problem with choosing one of the two is this. By the picture, the purple blackshoulder looks like a blue with a few white eyes and white on the body. Bye the picture he has no purple signs (other than the chocolate shoulders). The purple silver for my taste is way too white (% wise) he has no color in his tail at all. The breeder said he had more color last year and that he is a beautiful bird. I am sure they both are - I know they both are for all peafowl are beautiful in their own way.

So basically - I just cannot decide! I should just put them in a hat had pull one name out! Laughing

Jeanna
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:57 am Reply with quote

Hi Jennifer,

Yes sometimes it is a hard decision to have to choose.

I would base it on what I liked (Julie is right, but come to think of it she has always been right in everything she told me too Laughing ), what females I already had to mate with him, and what about the offspring, what I could produce from the matings, and what will be most valuable.

Personally, I would choose the BS Purple Silver Pied Male he is gorgeous,(the other guy has is going on too) and they are more scarce than the BS Purple W/E, and I don't know what the price difference is between the two I did not see that mentioned or I missed it. But think about if you were to go out a buy them from somewhere else, what would the price difference be?

Good Luck, we want to hear what you decide Rolling Eyes .

Jeanna
JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:55 pm Reply with quote

Well, I think I am leaning towards the silver pied male. He will put out a bigger variety of offspring. And I am sure that he is beautiful in person.

I would still love opinions tho...

I will be sure to let you know.

bcraft

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote

Well the purple silver pied.Could he be a blackshoulder too? The purple silver pied x silver pied will breed you silver pied if you like them. The purple BS WE ,looks like he maybe a darkpied, if so you could mate him with white hen(out of pieds) to get 100% silver pieds. Keep in mind your dealing with pattern and both birds need to be same pattern to produce that pattern. BS x pied=all barred wings split BS and Pied. So i would go with the purple silver pied ,UNLESS the other cock bird is a darkpied,then i would go with him. You can produce the purple BS we by just putting purple BS hens with the purple silverpied. What to DO??? Find out if the one is Darkpied.

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:38 pm Reply with quote

So...I can get purple females and males if someday I put the purple silver pied male with a purple hen of any variety?

jadobber

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:28 am Reply with quote

Hi there,

Sorry, I thought that they were BOTH of black shoulder pattern..I would buy the silver pied bird...Wether it is a purple or purple black shoulder..Either way...I thought it was black shoulder pattern as my purple black shoulder silver pied looks about identical to that...The silver pied patterned bird is worth more BUT that is only in terms of resale NOT in terms of what YOU LIKE..........I would buy the Purple black shoulder silver pied...To be honest I have birds that look identical to both of those..Except the my purple black shoulder white eyed is split to silver pied, cameo, black shoulder, and only the dear lord knows what else...So if either birds is possibly split to something else that is the one I would choose in that case...More possilble different colored and patterned babies..1 male with the possible of 4 or 5 different hens to give you MANY different babies. Like my one male...Just love hime...BUT REMEMBER IN THE END IT IS ONLY YOUR DECISION...BUY FROM YOUR HEART..Julie
JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:59 am Reply with quote

I chose the purple silver pied male! He will be shipped today! I will post pictures when he arrives.

I just found out that the purple silver's parents are both purple silver pieds...NO blackshoulder. And the blue silver pied hen I am getting with him comes from parents that are both blue silver pied.

Thank you all for talking with me! This is the first time I have ever purchased a bird from a breeder that was by picture and not in person. This is also my first experience with having birds shipped to me...so I am kinda a wreck about it.

I am looking forward to opening that box tho...it will be like Christmas because I am sure they are so much prettier in person. I feel like a kid in a candy store... Laughing Rolling Eyes

bcraft

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:57 pm Reply with quote

Lots of thing to mate him with. Now think of just the color, any hen you put with him all purple female chicks. be able to sex chicks at hatching,unless the hen is purple.

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:05 pm Reply with quote

So what if the hen is purple? Will I get all purple birds male and female?

bcraft

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:37 am Reply with quote

yes, purple X purple = all purple chicks

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quote

Thank you to everyone who talked with me through deciding which birds I wanted to get!

They arrived today in great shape and are currently getting to know their new neighbors.

I have great pictures that I wanted to share, but the "add image to post" option doesn't seem to be working at this time... Maybe I will try again tonight.

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » General Discussion