Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Ground Material
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing Goto page 1, 2  Next    
JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:55 am Reply with quote

I am tired of stomping through mud and would like to put something down on the ground of my runs. I know the birds love the dirt for cleaning and usualy dig big holes in my ground around the fence that I have to fill in for fear of predators. That is why I am thinking a nice thick layer of sand may be nice or would a sand/pea gravel mix be better with maybe a big sand box for cleaning? What do you use? Ideas?

Jeanna
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote

Hello Jennifer,

We use sand, it is much better than dealing with the mud.
It drains very well, and worms do not like it, which is also great for controlling parasites, that includes worms and coccidiosis.
As well as molds and fungus in the summer if you live in a warm, humid climate. But you probably do not have that problem in MN.

The birds love taking sand baths, they are out there on their sides spewing up sand left and right.

I like it when it comes time to clean, raking under the roosts is easy, and picking up the waste is easier. It gives more cushion when they fly off the roosts.

The only drawback we have found is to buy it, and have it hauled to you. Believe me you need A LOT of it, tons and tons, and it is not cheap. And you also need to replentish occasionally since you take some out when cleaning, and it does settle. We have about 20 tons hauled in about every 18 months or so. And that is the cleaned and dried sand. Which costs even more.

But if you want to use it just for the outside runs you would not need nearly as much.

And this may not be practical for some breeders, since as I mentioned it takes tons of sand. But since we have started using it, I think our birds are healthier, the pens are definately cleaner, and fresher smelling. And easier to maintain.

Laughing
Jeanna
JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:39 pm Reply with quote

Thank you Jenna...I am really leaning towards sand for sure!

dixygirl

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:22 pm Reply with quote

I have a mix of grit, oyster shell, sand and tiny pea gravel inside the pen. There is gravel or road base around the edges outside to deter diggers.
peafowlboy
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote

Thanks,
I wasn't sure if sand was good for peafowl. It helps that I live in a gravel bank. Lucky me! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:02 am Reply with quote

What types of bedding are used for indoor runs? I am currently using shavings, not sawdust, but am open to other types if they work better.

Judy
DestinyAcres
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quote

Has anyone used corn cob bedding?? What I have is 1/4 inch size. This will be short term. I had 6 bags given to me. Wasn't sure if I wanted to use it for the peafowl, the pigeons or chickens. Currently everyone is bedded with shavings.
Judy
babypeas
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:28 am Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I have been advised here in the UK to use large bark chippings like those used in childrens playgrounds and for mulching flowerbeds in my outside pen? What does everyone think? Seems like a good idea to me? I will give them a sand box too.

My pen wont be huge as I want them to free range most of the time but want somwhere safe I can put them if need be. I may try and shut them in at night as we have a lot of foxes or if we go away and someone else is looking after them I'd rather they were penned.

Our pen is 17 ft by 12 ft and 17ft high I know its smaller than ideal but like I say they will hopefully be free roaming most of the time.

xxx

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote

i'd just like to add to beware if using corncob bedding, that is IF your dogs can get a hold of it. Corn cobs are deadly to dogs if they chew them up.

Sand sounds like a great idea, always wondered about that. Does it matter if it's builders sand or childrens sand box quality? I think? childrens sand box type is more refined , smaller grained or whatever. Only problem here with using sand is with a hard rain it washes away and we would have to repenish ever so often, as you say-it's not cheap since you need lots !

babypeas, My gosh, your pen is 17 ft. high?! How in the world did you manage to erect one that tall ? Major effort ( and expense here) to get ours 10 foot tall in the ground ! Smile
babypeas
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:15 am Reply with quote

Laughing hee hee I so wish I could work out how to put pics on here!! I have found the most beautiful pen!! My boyfriend just said I could order it as he left for work but I'm a bit worried as if it looks huge in the garden he wont be happy! Floor space is fine but its the 17 ft high - Its actually a gazebo/pavillion structure which will need a little modification but will look lovely and will certainly be fox proof!!

I just hung out of my bedroom window with a tape measure to try and get an idea how tall it will look Laughing seems like our house is about the same Rolling Eyes

xxx

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote

To heck with that! iIf you have the room, build a pen and keep the 'zbo for yourselves to enjoy, lol

Per putting photos here, I think the " how to's" are in the FAQ's at the top of each page.

How many peafowl do you have, 12x17 is not much "floor space" ?!
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote

babyoeas,

Sorry and nevermind about my comment. I went and reread your post and see where you said they will be free roaming most of the time. Wink
Still, you always want to go bigger and bigger, lol !
babypeas
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:45 am Reply with quote

Hi Burdgirl

Hope I dont get in trouble for putting this link here instead of with photos, but what do you think?!

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc29/upaforum/gazebo2.jpg

xxx

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:07 pm Reply with quote

WOW! My birds would think they were in heaven. It is beautiful.
Judy
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quote

Oh MY GOODNESS, that is absolutely awesome and gorgeous !! Lucky you to be getting that structure, is that made exclusively in the UK ? I want one !

I guess you'll have to glass - or plexiglass -in the sides and other open areas? What kind of modifications will you have to be doing there?
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing Goto page 1, 2  Next