Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Problems with freeranging peas + what are these please?
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » General Discussion     
helen

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:32 pm Reply with quote

Hello, I'd love some help. I brought my first two 4 month old peacocks in Sept 07 and was advised to let them go freerange by christmas 07 or spring 08. The uk had a bitter winter and so i kept them in until last week - a long time! Their pen is orientated to my 3 acre garden (with 100's of acres of uninterupted farmland beyond that, all of which is available to them) - so that they could see where they were to live. I was the only person feeding them. I live with two cats, but neither peas nor cats seemed at all interested in oneanother. After a few days of the pen being open, off they went... but in the wrong direction:to a neighbouring field and barn, just opposite my house (which they could not have seen when in captivity). They set themselves up in a small empty paddock with adjoining chicken run (6 chickens). Despite lures of food (previously they were getting all their food from me), gently guiding them home etc, they steadfastly refuse to come home, and stayed: running up and down looking at the chickens, sunbathing some distance away from the chickens and roosting on barn roof adjoining the chicken run at night. They seemed blissfully happy and i always knew where to find them - but, they are my peacocks: not only would i prefere them in my garden, but the people who own the land (but don't live there) understandably don't want them and have demanded they leave. Today, after a week of freedom, I had to catch them with a net and return them to their now too small pen (6x4 shed and adjoining 16x6 run: it was only inteneded for them when they were small and until they went freerange) - it was heartbreaking. The person who owns the paddock, they decided was their new home, will NOT be happy if they return. I could rehome them Sad Sad but i thought i would try getting some chickens myself in case that was the interest for them (i can't bare to part with them) - i could organize a run, coop and chickens in the next week and try again?? Do you think it might work? any other suggestions? THANK YOU from Helen and sad captives Mick and Marco Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad :

Last edited by helen on Fri May 30, 2008 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
glennis

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote

I hope I'm not too late - been away for a while - but our peacocks ADORE our hens; they are constantly after them, wanting to tail them, follow them, sit near them, and they are never ever vicious to the hens.. I really think getting your own hens might help. Of course, the hens may not be as keen on the peacocks as they are on the hens... They tend to see the tail business as a bore at least, and a nuisance at best.
helen

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:38 am Reply with quote

Thank you so much Glennis. In desperation I rushed out and brought four chickens and my two peacocks seems to love them. They spend a large amount of time near them, fanning to them and just sunbathing near the coop and run. They have now been re - released for three weeks. They do dissappear for a day or two (during which time I am frantic), but haven't returned to my neighbours chickens - thank goodness. The time spent away from 'home' is reducing and the days at home are increasing. I do think the chickens have made a big difference. I also feed them near the chickens and pop out into the garden frequently with treats - they seem to be getting into a routine ad seem really calm and happy when they are here. Does anyone know of anything else I should be doing to encorage them to stay at home? I would love to freerange my chickens during the day (the small run shown was purchased as a quick last resort), but if the peacocks could actually get at the chickens, do people think they would try and mate with them or hurt them? Thank you Thank you PS, Can anyone tell me what kind of peacocks these are or should i post clearer photos? They maybe just a complete mixture - i love them what ever they are! Very Happy
connerhills
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:21 pm Reply with quote

Helen , the birds are both males. The one on the left is a blue india wild pattern. and the other is a india black shoulder pattern. George
JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote

What is a India Blue Wild pattern? I have never seen one that looked like that!

bcraft

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:54 pm Reply with quote

Wild pattern, have barred wings, Yes both males,that is why they went looking for mates. They dont care chicken,guineas or peahens. Get them a few peahens this should get them to stay home. Remember to keep the peahens penned up for a few weeks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » General Discussion