Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Another Silver Pied Question
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics     
JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:38 am Reply with quote

This may be a silly question, but I am extremely confused about genetics.

Would a Silver Pied male and a Silver Pied female only produce Silver Pied chicks?

Thank you,

bcraft

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:45 pm Reply with quote

Jennifer, no silver pied to silver pied= 25% white,25% dark pied(some white eye) 50% silver pied. but looks like more whites when I mate them together. Same for pied to pied.

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quote

Thank you Burt...So did I understand you right...the silver pied chicks will almost be just like whites?

bcraft

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:08 am Reply with quote

you will get silver pied, dark pied, and white chicks.

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:14 am Reply with quote

What if I breed a silver pied male with a straight IB hen? Or vice versa...IB male with silver hen.

I do have at least one of my three IB birds (one male two females) who must have the white gene somewhere. About 50% of my babies hatched last year from my IB's had white flight feathers. None of the adults have any white on them at all, not even flights. So if it is a hen that produced the babies with white flights and she got paired with the silver male, would that produce something different than just straight IB?

By sheer luck I think I may have it figured out. I put one IB hen with my silver, but no eggs yet. The other IB male and female are still together. I have two babies from them now and no white flights. Not that two babies proves anything just yet, but I will keep an eye out. I have the eggs marked so I know where they came from.

Jeanna
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:33 pm Reply with quote

Hi Jennifer,

Genetics is NOT one of my strong points. I am still learning, and have a lot to learn myself. So if this is not right I am sure I will hear about it. Wink

Your question of a silver pied with a india blue, you would get IB chicks split to silver pied. They could have white flight feathers. But they will "look" like india blue.

My understanding to get pied both parents have to be pied or split to pied. You MUST have the pied gene on both sides to get pied.

I had a pied crop up from a mating where I thought there was not pied involved on the one side but the bird in question was split to opal and white eye.

Hope this helps a little.
bcraft

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quote

Jeanna is correct, all chicks will look blue and split to silver pied.

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:01 pm Reply with quote

Well that's a bummer. I was really hoping to get some pied.

So what exactly would cause some of my babies to have white flight feathers? If I paired that bird with a silver would that also just produce IB split to silver?

bcraft

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:57 pm Reply with quote

Dark pieds have white flight feather, or peafowl split white.

So if it is a dark pied bred to a silver pied you would get pieds dark and pieds

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:07 pm Reply with quote

Jennifer, I was told by a breeder that split pieds tend not to show any white & sigh.. there's that unresolved term "dark pied".. the original definition of dark pied was simply a homozygous pied, but lately it seems to be more loosely used for pieds with 'not that much white'(but NOT homozygous for pied)... anyways, dark(homozygous that is) pied normally show some white on the flights/chin, much like split whites do.

I have no personal experience to confirm if that's really the case but let's say this is true, it may explain your case.. your breeder birds are split pieds with the chicks showing white flights being the dark pieds.

One really good way to confirm this for once and all would be to breed those white flighted chicks to pure whites.. the usual information is dark pied x white= 100% pied. So if that happens, there's your answer.

The other way you can do sooner, rather than waiting for the chicks to mature is to breed the parents with a white... if they produce a few, even if just one pied chick, there's your answer- the blue parent was a split pied. Problem is, you need to hatch at least 10-15 chicks minimum 'to be sure'.. unless one of the very first few chicks happens to be a pied.

Lastly as bcraft said, if the blues are split pieds, you should get some obvious pied chicks if bred with silver pied.. but then my personal experience with breeding silver pieds has been very weird and generally contrary to the usual information regarding breeding silver pieds, shrug..... (see other thread for this)
JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:26 am Reply with quote

Thank you both for the information!

Kevin, what a great explaination and advice! That is exactly what I wanted to know and was after.

Well, for this year my tests may find out if I have a blue split pied. If most likely a silver x IB split pied will produce a pied, then i have a 2 out of 3 chance to find out which blue it is. I put one blue hen with a silver male and a silver female with a IB male. That leaves one IB hen to the IB male that was together before. I incubate all my eggs so chances are good I will have enough from each bird to get the percentages I need.

Woo hoo, wouldn't it be a great suprise if I did have a split IB!!! I was pleasantly surprised last year when about half of my babies had the white flights. I was 99% sure that there was a split to white in the parents somewhere, but I was told that if one of my blues was split, they would have a white flight feather, then I was confused. Well they absolutely don't have any white flights.

I so excited!! LOL Ok, I am nuts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics