Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  WORMING
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next    
bcraft

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote

I also use panacur,3 cc per gal of water,or 1/2 cc down the throat. Ivomec 1/2 cc on the back . beware do not use it during laying season. For all the newbe out there.Be carefull went giving any med. down the throat, that you get pass the wind pipe. Helen Ivomec before spring and after breeding season. Stay away from frontline.

UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:02 am Reply with quote

Thanks, Burt. We all forgot to mention that birds shouldn't be wormed during laying season.

Does anyone have a photo to illustrate the location of the epiglottis and how to bypass it when giving oral medications? It's difficult to explain but a photo is immensely helpful. A picture is worth a thousand words.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:18 am Reply with quote

Hi, there is an amazing article on dosing peafowl, under knowledge base on the main upa web site - extrodinarily clear photos as well. When i saw my peas wormed for the first time by my vet she inserted the syringe (minus needle) as far down their throat as it would go. She didn't look in the mouth at all and it certainly looked like she was giving it straight and not to one side (as the article shows). When i came to give them some medication myself i did the same thing: held their neck straight (tilting the head back a little) and glided the syringe straight down nearly all the way - it worked perfectly and was not difficult at all (athough i don't know whos heart was beating faster me or the pea!). However, now i have seen that it should be given to the side and the implications of doing it wrong, i feel very nervous about the whole thing - hence the hot cross bun! But i guess it won't be too long before i will have to do it again for some reason.
feather
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:28 am Reply with quote

try Dr Schwartz book

Last edited by feather on Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
MSN Messenger
helen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:58 am Reply with quote

Thank you Dianna - how kind of you. There is quite a discrepancy isn't there between what my two vets recommended and the 1/2 cc that other breeders find effective. I gave them a second dose - once again on a currant bun- which they weren't so keen on this time and played around with - i shall have to become more inventive - especially when they are free range. Such a shame they don't eat from my hand any more - they associate me with food but only from a distance. They were so tame for the first few months - but no longer. Thank you for your help i shall look into alternating wormers in future .
feather
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:13 am Reply with quote

You are quite welcome, hope things go well as they grow older sometimes they are less friendly, but we still have a few that come running to eat out of our hands.

Desert Wind
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quote

Hi

I found this on the net and we use Ivermectin on the horses thought I would try it on my 10 peafowl tonight, will see how they are in the morning.

http://info.amyspeacockparadise.com/worming.html

Desert Wind
feather
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:35 am Reply with quote

I use what the vet gives me.

Last edited by feather on Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
MSN Messenger
Desert Wind
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:51 am Reply with quote

Dianna

is this oral or are you mixing with water?

I mixed 2ml ivermectin with 1/2 gal water and the birds drank it clean and I was out there first thing this morning , there all walking and talking to each other. little nervous the first time using Meds. on critters you know little about for on horses you can bugger up there nervous system when you over dose them on Ivermectin.
ps I like your web site.

Hal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:29 pm Reply with quote

DM, and you other smart people,,hehe Wink,,,( i wanna make sure im getting this right,,im a LITTLE "simple") the ivomec is liquid and goes into their water right?,,,and that ALSO helps with external buggers?
we get alot of creepies after it cools off,,and wanna be ready for them !! hehe Wink
Thanks

possessor of 60 chickens,20 guineas,2 red golden pheasants,2 BI peafowl,1 savanna moniter ,1 black emporer scorpion,2 toads,2 tree frogs,1 little ankle biter dog,1 grown boy,2 girls at 3&5, and the wife that keeps us all moving,,
jadobber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:20 am Reply with quote

Hi there,

Well, I tried doing something new this year..I worm with--Levimazole, Valbazan, Ivomec, Fenbendazole----------As it was starting to cost me way to much putting it in the water..(I do still do this but don't need as much)---Okay---my birds are seriously used to getting treats so I thought that I would out smart them worming..I took there bread they love so much and cut it up like normal and poured Valbazan all over it..They ate it before they even knew what hit them...When using Fenbendazole---I either cut grapes in half and dunk them in the wormer or I make salad for them with tomatoes and grapes or other fruit (melons and such)---and sprinkle the fenbendazole all over it...Again---they don't even realize what happened until it is too late...We will see how it goes, but so far, this is working well..You can't really over worm them, and like with the bread I make sure each piece has enough on that if they only eat even 1 piece they are wormed..Mine like bread to much to stop. So far so good, and it is saving me quite a bit of money. Yes, yes, I realize this is time consuming but I swear, mine with go without water for a week when I put it in the water. I just got done worming as I quit setting eggs and I will worm again at least one more time after the first frost--------PS---I myself, only use Ivomec as a poor on. When vaccinating, testing, etc...I do use that a couple of times a year. I always have a SERIOUS issue with any of my Javas or greens picking themselves..Worse than monkies..Using the wormer does not stop them..I put bits in them but during the breeding season I must obviously take them out...Starts all over again.....I will state the results this fall on how my new worming way has worked for me..So far so good.....Julie
Miss Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:12 am Reply with quote

the1much wrote:
DM, and you other smart people,,hehe Wink,,,( i wanna make sure im getting this right,,im a LITTLE "simple") the ivomec is liquid and goes into their water right?,,,and that ALSO helps with external buggers?
we get alot of creepies after it cools off,,and wanna be ready for them !! hehe Wink
Thanks

I'm anxiously awaiting an answer to this question as i was wondering the same thing, sorta. I do understand Ivermec will also take care of external parasites but was wondering if putting it in water at the suggested dose also takes care of the external parasites, or do i need to put two drops under each wing in addition to putting it in their water?
This is all so overwhelming to me.

Thanks in advance.
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DMFarms
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:04 pm Reply with quote

Ivomec will not mix with water it is a oil base wormer it can be use 3 different ways on the skin, by mouth or injected 1/4 to 1/2 cc on grown peafowl. Ivomec is user friendly so it is hard to overdose them.
Doug
the1much

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:15 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Doug!

possessor of 60 chickens,20 guineas,2 red golden pheasants,2 BI peafowl,1 savanna moniter ,1 black emporer scorpion,2 toads,2 tree frogs,1 little ankle biter dog,1 grown boy,2 girls at 3&5, and the wife that keeps us all moving,,
NevC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:27 am Reply with quote

This is a little confusing working out what brand and/or product sub type is being used.

What I have on hand is:-

Sykes Big L worm drench for poultry and pigs (levamisole 14g/l)
Sykes Big L worm drench for sheep and cattle (levamisole 127g/l)

Panacur 25, oral anthelmintic for sheep cattle and goats

Ivomec Eprinex pour on for beef and dairy cattle.

Cypercare off shears pour on for sheep for body lice (25g/L cypermethrin & 450g/L diethylene glycol mono alkyl)

Which of these and how much would you recommend for pea fowl? And what delivery method?

This is a very good discussion.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next