Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  WORMING
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next    
helen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:45 am Reply with quote

MY AVIAN VET HAS TOLD ME TO WORM MY PEACOCKS FOUR TIMES A YEAR WITH PANACUR 10%, GIVING 1ML PER KILO OF BIRD. DOES ANYONE KNOW, APPROXIMATELY, WHAT A 9 MONTH OLD PEACOK WOULD WEIGH? THANK YOU Question
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:35 am Reply with quote

Hi Helen
Panacur (Safeguard) can be administered 2 ways: in drinking water, or as oral drench down the throat. For birds between 3 months and 1 year of age, use 1/2cc oral drench down the throat. This is half the dose for an adult bird.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:16 am Reply with quote

Am i correct in thinking cc and ml are equivalent? In which case my regualr vet prescribed 5ml (of 10%panacure) administered down the throat per bird. This seemed quite a big dose (given i was reccommended 1.5 ml of 2.5% for them three months ago). So when i checked this an avian vet this morning he guessed an 9 month old bird would weigh between 2 - 3 kilos and so the dose (of 10% panacur administered down the throat) would be between 2 and 3 mls. Far more than you are suggesting (if cc and ml are equivalent). This is a bit complex, but i want to get it right. so thank you so much for your help Helen Confused
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote

Hi Helen
Yes, cc and mL are identical measures.

The dosage I listed is what many peafowl breeders use for their birds. I have never used a larger dose becase the 1/2mL has always been sufficient for the youngsters. But I have to ask you - does your avian vet have experience specifically with peafowl? This can be important when dosing medications, as poultry can differ in their requirements. I'm not sure how much panacur could be considered an overdose. Can anyone advise?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:59 pm Reply with quote

Oh goodness! Given that one vet told me to give 5ml (of 10%) and the other 2 - 3 ml (of 10%) I went ahead and gave them 3ml each on a piece of current bun - so they probably got 2.5ml per bird. Then i thought i'd ask here in case they needed the larger dose - wish i had come here first. I will know tomorrow morning whether that constitutes an overdose for peacocks Sad Thank you for all your help. Even though i have already administerd it, I would really like to clear this up for now and for the future. Also i was told to repeat this dose in ten days time - which i definately won't be doing until this has been sorted with the experts here. Just to be clear, this isn't due to a worm problem but what i have been recommended to do four times a year (repeating the first dose in ten tdays time only the once). All help so much appreciated. Sad
feather
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote

Hi Helen
I posted this in the past for worming
hope this is helpful
If you would like me to I would look up the correct dosages in Dr Schwarts book for you, some of the dosages look quite high but they are not we have used them, I use his book as my Bird Bible, He was so right in writing this book if you would like one contact the UPA for purchasing one
Incase you don't know who he was he was a vet and wrote on how to treat Pheasants and Peafowl but he has passed away since, so if interested try contacting George Conner.

You must worm your birds

All species get worms no matter what even if they are on wire, concrete, grass, dirt, or sand.
Levamisole
http://www.elephantcare.org/Drugs/levamis.htm
Uses/Indications - Depending on the product licensed, levamisole is indicated for the treatment of many nematodes in cattle, sheep & goats, swine, poultry. In sheep and cattle, levamisole has relatively good activity against abomasal nematodes, small intestinal nema┬Čtodes (not particularly good against Strongyloides spp.), large intestinal nematodes (not Trichuris spp.), and lungworms. Adult forms of species that are usually covered by lev┬Čamisole, include: Haemonchus spp., Trichostrongylus spp., Osteragia spp., Cooperia spp., Nematodirus spp., Bunostomum spp., Oesophagostomum spp., Chabertia spp., and Dictyocaulus vivapurus. Levamisole is less effective against the immature forms of these parasites and is generally ineffective in cattle (but not sheep) against arrested larval forms. Resistance of parasites to levamisole is a growing concern.

In swine, levamisole is indicated for the treatment of Ascaris suum, Oesophagostomum spp., Strongyloides, Stephanurus, and Metastrongylus

Fenbendazole/SafeGuard
I have this one mixed in my feed

Valbazen Suspension
This one is best used oral application

Note: please remember I am not a DR. by any means. So please get Professional advice from your local vet and these are only suggestions of what we use at our farm.

helen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:03 am Reply with quote

My peas are fine this morning Very Happy but that doesn't mean it wasn't too higher dose for them and I shall keep a close eye on them (a mamouth increase on what my vets first recommeded only three months ago and huge compared to the 1/2 ml that other people have found to be effective). Ideally i suppose i would like to give them the smallest effective dose. Yes, i would be so grateful if you could look that up for me. If anyone else uses Panacur - what dose do you give - directly down the throat (or if you are a novce like me - on a bit of current bun)? My vets say to give the same (2. 3 or 5ml) again in ten days time. I dont think i will be doing that - i will wait for some more advice here. thank you
feather
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:21 am Reply with quote

Hi Helen
Panacure and Fenbendazole are the same thing
it is grams per ton in my feed, I have to go back to my book and look up the dose for a single bird. you have 9 days so give me a couple of days to find it. I have an apointment this morning so I will look it up.

Last edited by feather on Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
MSN Messenger
DMFarms
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:30 pm Reply with quote

Helen
One of the best way to worm peafowl is put the wormer in the water. We rotate useing safe-guard and valbazen put 3 to 4 cc per gal of water for 2 to 3 days and repeat in 10 days this is what most breeder use to worm with. Wormer feed is not vary effective on peafowl because they will not eat enought to do any good I have had several people call me with worm problems and ever one was useing wormer feed and I know Gwen Hibler has had several call her. One man that call me call Gwen Hibler and Sid Drenth before he talk to me he had several birds that had worms bad and he already lost one I ask him what was he worming with and he said wormer feed and I told him that was his first mistake and he said I was the third person to tell him that. He waited to long to call someone and the worms had cause to much damage to help most of them so he learn a lesson the hard way what is easy is not alway the best.
Doug
helen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:12 am Reply with quote

Hi Doug, thank you for you help. i have heard to put it in the water but didn't do it as i barely see mine drink- i know they are meant to drink at lot - but I don't see it. The first time i wormed them i caught them and administered it down their throat - but i am a novice and not good at catching them and it wasn't a pleasant expericnce for either of us. Of course i will catch them if i need to but this time I soaked a small piece of current bun in the panacur and sat and watched until they had both eaten their seperate piece to ensure they ate it (and to be sure one of them didn't eat both bits) - it is easy for me to do that as i only have two birds. However if you give 3cc per gallon of water for a few days, it does seem i was giving my birds far far too much - as i gave them 3ml or cc each! thank goodness they are okay! Very Happy Also interesting that you rotate the wormers - that seeems a good idea. Thank you Very Happy
Miss Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:07 am Reply with quote

(or if you are a novce like me - on a bit of current bun)?
Once again i feel humbled and have to ask, what is current bun? Question
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
helen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:28 am Reply with quote

Sorry, i typed the spelling in wrong: a currant bun - actually a hot cross bun. Do you have those in the USA? I lived in Texas for three years, i don't remember seeing them?. My peas don't like bread so i thought seen as they like dried friut then I may as well try soaking the currant cake in the panacur (too much panacur??). They loved it, so it seems i must stock my freezer with them for the future as you can only buy them at Easter! But it seemed i may not have got the dose correct Question
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote

Hi Helen
I'm still giggling at the thought of stocking the freezer with currant buns. Your birds are as spoiled as mine.

If you choose to mix the panacur in drinking water (which is the easiest and has the same effect), rest assured that your birds will get the amount they need. Most birds will drink some water when they wake up in the morning. If that is the only water source, it will work just fine for them.

Doug, thank you for sharing your experiences with the wormer feed. I had been considering it, but if it isn't safe for my birds I won't be buying any.

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote

Helen we still catch all of our birds 2 time a year and we give them ivomec this also kills all external parasites.
helen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:02 am Reply with quote

Thank you. that sounds great as i was concerned about the management of external parasites as well. Am i correct in thinking that is a spot on treatment? My vet told me to catch them and spray them once a month with frontlline for mites - i certainly won't be catching them once a month! I will finish this worming (to give the second dose after the ten days) with panacur and then look to see if ivomec is available over here in the uk - i think i have heard of it.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next