Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  help wanted, white Pavo Multicus
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics     
Jeanine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:47 am Reply with quote

Hello to all,

I'm here to learn (see my topic in the introduction part).

Last year I finally got my hands on a very very old dutch book about peafowl (dated 1969)( written by mr L.J. Veen).

In that book there was a chapter about genetics. This part was about a man named Bernard Roer (US) and how he bred the white Pavo Multicus.

The illustration was painted not a picture, I'll try to post the drawing/painting.

Ok here my question:
Is this a white Spalding or a white Java?
In the book the name is Spaulding, on the website It is called Spalding?
AND does anyone have a picture of a mature bird?

greetings

Jeanine
connerhills
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote

Jeanine. Welcome to The UPA. I have never know of a white mutation of a Jave M M. There are a number of white Spaldings around and some of them are very good in phenotype and will look like a good white Jave. But once a Spalding always a Spaldings. Still some will look very good. The Spalding comes from lady with that name and is credited with crossing a Java with a black shoulder and creating a mix.
Spaldings can be in all of the colors and patterns. They can be of a very small percent green or a very high percent of Jave green. The higher the better. The UPA has done some research on the spelling of her name and has come to the conclusion that it is spelled as Spalding and recognizes it as such. Yet and for ever I would guess it will still be spelled both ways. Maybe some one will post a photo of excellent white Spaldings. Please consider joining the UPA as you will be welcome to share your birds with us. George A Conner
connerhills
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:33 pm Reply with quote

Jeanine. Welcome to The UPA. I have never know of a white mutation of a Jave M M. There are a number of white Spaldings around and some of them are very good in phenotype and will look like a good white Jave. But once a Spalding always a Spaldings. Still some will look very good. The Spalding comes from lady with that name and is credited with crossing a Java with a black shoulder and creating a mix.
Spaldings can be in all of the colors and patterns. They can be of a very small percent green or a very high percent of Jave green. The higher the better. The UPA has done some research on the spelling of her name and has come to the conclusion that it is spelled as Spalding and recognizes it as such. Yet and for ever I would guess it will still be spelled both ways. Maybe some one will post a photo of excellent white Spaldings. Please consider joining the UPA as you will be welcome to share your birds with us. George A Conner
jnelson
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote

Hi,
It appears to me that the author of the article is showing an illustration of how to breed (make) a spalding white bird. Here is a fairly good photo of one of our pretty good spalding white hens.
Josh
Jeanine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:19 am Reply with quote

Thanks you for your replies.

Now I can see that it is a White Spalding. When I looked on pictures of random websites, the crown and yellowcolor on the head wasn't so clear as on the last picture that was posted. If I understand correctly, that is because there is less green blood in the peafowl I viewed.

Thanks!!!!

I'm getting the hang of it. When I have more questions I post it here. And I'll try to make some pictures of my peafowls soon.

greetings

Jeanine
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics