Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Aging a bird
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics     
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:20 am Reply with quote

Is there any way to examine a bird and tell about how old it is? I know that peafowl often live into their twenties. How long will a hen lay eggs? Maybe this last question belongs under the health topic, but are there any specific illnesses to watch for once a bird reaches its teens and beyond?

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote

I had a cameo hen that was 13 years old and if I hadn't known her age I would have been unable to tell her from my three year old hens. The only difference in her breeding was that she would only lay 2-3 eggs and become broody. She was also impossible to break from being broody. I would move her to another pen and she would find an egg and set on it! She was never sick. I retired her to a friend who just wanted some peafowl in a large aviary in her backyard this last fall after I let her hatch some spalding babies. (my last eggs of the season) I know this doesn't really answer your question but just thought I would share what little knowledge I had gained from my experience.

GOOSE HOLLOW FARMS
Kevin
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:11 pm Reply with quote

I observed the same- a bird in teens looks the same as a 4 year old bird. I have several hens in 8-10 year age range, they still look "young" and lay well.

My oldest bird is a Blue, he was fully mature in 1989 making him at least 22. Health wise he has always been great, no illnesses. However last few years, his tail started to get thick and wide.. his feathers seem to have gotten "softer"- he doesn't have exactly a sleek outline anymore. Two or three years ago his tail started to drag on the ground when it was fully grown, which became a serious problem when it rained as it would get completely soaked and formed dirt and mud balls on it. So I had to put him in a pen with a solid top so his tail is no longer exposed to wet soil.

As of last few months he has started to look "old".. he is also a gentleman with the hens, often bows his head to court the hens. This caused a problem recently as the hens started to pick off the feathers from top of his head, including his crest and from back of his neck so I had to separate the hens from him. He was fertile last year and will let the hens back in with him once they are laying.
SueNH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:21 am Reply with quote

With chickens the scales on the legs and claws get more lizardy as they age. No sure fire aging there just that one is older than that one and so on. Same with the turkeys and guineas. I can't imagine peas would be all that much different.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics