Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  out of state breeders?
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Forum Information Goto page 1, 2  Next    
michelle
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote

I'm starting to get nervous... I am to send several hundred dollars for a pair of Pals soon, the breeder is 2 states away, how do I tell if the breeder is honest, and the birds are what he says they are... any ideas? The breeder is not listed any where, I found him purely accidentally.
Yankee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote

Whenever I have birds shipped from other states I always pay by Postal Money Order. Luckily everyone I've dealt with has been honest but if you would happen to deal with a crook the Postal System can track the money order and deal with them accordingly.

I would at least talk to to people over the phone before you do anything. Usually you can tell if you're talking to someone who is a reputable breeder.

Bret
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quote

Hi Michelle
Does this seller have a website? Can he provide a photo of the birds before you send a check? Is he listed in the local phone book? Just a few things I'd check...

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:22 am Reply with quote

Michelle
If you are unsure of this purchase,
Maybe you should re-think this transaction.
Most of the breederes out there ship all of the time, and they usually ship to the lower 48 states. I am located in Wisconsin and I even ship to Purto Rico.
There are quite a few breeders that are not UPA members,
but that does not mean they are dishonest.
Anyone who ships you birds would want you to be happy.

bcraft

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote

Michelle, lots of good advise. Would add if buying any green peafowl be carefull, as some breeders selling spauldings as Pure greens. Alot of these breeders think they have pure greens ,but they are not. I would only buy birds that you can at least you can see in a pic. As the old saying goes "Dont buy a pig in a sack" You can always post the pics here to see if the birds are what the seller says they are.

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote

hope every thing works out . I would be afraid the birds would Die that is my fear. but I know they will live as long as they are healthy to start with

I would like to find a breeder who would ship to Western Canada and know what the cost would be , We have very mild Winters here , with lots of chinooks blowing threw , I would like to Raise a pair of Java greens I have a heated shop they can go in when the weather is really Bad . all the other birds have insulated houses with thermal cubes in them so when the temp. drops down to a 2 degrees below 0 the heat lamp comes on and then shuts off at 6 degrees above 0 ( Im talking celceus) so water never freezes which is a bonus

Desert Wind
feather
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:59 am Reply with quote

Hi Desert Wind
Even 6 deg. celceus is too cold for the Java's forany period of time over a few days.
I keep all of my Java's above 23 deg celceus and sometimes it gets up to @43 in that room that I winter them in.
I live in Central Wisconsin, and it does get pretty cold here.
Feather

Desert Wind
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:19 am Reply with quote

Hi Feather

so in fahrenheit temp that would be 73.4 and as high as 109.4

How long does your winters last down there .

The heating bill alone would kill me if I kept the shop that warm . I bring all the peacocks in when the weather gets really but for most of the time it gets to above 0 which is 32 degrees Fahrenheit (day time ) I Live just South of Calgary Alberta.

Desert Wind
jadobber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:50 am Reply with quote

I will answer for feather....You MUST keep Javas above freezing.(32 degrees).They just can not handle the weather. I also live in WI----It costed me around 175.00 a MONTH to try to heat my Javas and I still lost some of them...Feather has a completely different set up than I do..She heats with a outdoor wood furnace that they heats their home as well, with...Me I tried to insulate and had heated roost (that I kept really warm) plus quite a few heat lamps..I still lost 3 of my javas this past winter... Due to there own stupidity---Not from my lack of trying..I had 4 of them that I didn't realize---they were not roosting---and it was too late before I noticed..After this I also heated a small part of the pen for the ones that were not roosting....A super way to do this is to use heating blankets wrapped well..This is what I used on my roost..The previous year I used what they call heat tape BUT I didn't like that because I couldn't control the temps..With heated blankets I could keep the roost warm the way I wanted them......This year I may have to either heat the floor and takethe roost out as it gets too costly to heat both........And we do get to below zero..Most likely not as cold as you..But still REALLY cold. Julie
feather
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:33 am Reply with quote

Thanks Julie you sain almost everything.
It is infloor radiant heat, and sometimes it gets quite warm in there.
Feather

Desert Wind
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quote

thanks Julie

we Kept 1 older Blue male and 2 yearlings in the shop in a 8 X 10 X 6 ft high dog run and the temp around +3 celsius which would be 37.4 Fahrenheit

they would go in at first frost and come out to stay after the last frost and be let out to run on days when it is +5 or better for a few hours a day
we really don't get any snow but it gets gold for maybe a week then during the days it will get + 7 to 10 we sit in a chinook belt so we get lots of warm winds during the winter I live 20 min south of Calgary Alberta
so would that work to keep Java's, and does anyone know who has some in Canada I found one person in Ontario but he lost his hen this past winter.

Hal
jadobber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:31 am Reply with quote

Hi there,

I would think 37 should be okay...BUT remember you would have to keep it that temp all the time. It doesn't take long for these javas to freeze there feet..You might want to try a heated roost in addition as that isthe most important part. PS....if you think a java is cold NEVER bring it in your house to warm back up and then put it back out...I lost two within hours of putting back in there pen. It was really sad AND I learned a hugh lesson...thinking that I was helping the birds. I love Wisconsin and I enjoy winter..........But it gets a little depressing when you lose a beautiful bird to the weather...I guess thats why they say the strong survive.. I sometimes think in battle the javas would never win---as there opponent would know to just throw some cold at them..Ooh well, live and learn..Julie
IdahoPeafowl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:49 am Reply with quote

What about spaldings? Does their ability to tolerate the cold correlate to their percentage green? I just got my first spalding bird and did't think about the cold factor.
jadobber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:14 am Reply with quote

Hi,
Spaldings can be a little tricky..I honestly don't ever heat mine in the winter..But I can tell-------Most due just fine..I lost my first one ever due to the cold this past winter..I had a hen--5 years old--Spalding split to white..I knew she was cold but since I had never heated her in the winter I really thought nothing of it only to walk out one morning to find her dead.. So, yes most spaldings can tolerate a large amount of cold. I would just watch the birds and if they do seem off I would heat a roost for them...Julie
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:07 pm Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I'm hearing we're to have possibly a colder than average winter this year.
Please tell me more about these heated roosts. How do they work, where can I find the supplies needed to provide the such ?
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Forum Information Goto page 1, 2  Next