Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  female fanning tail?
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics     
Snort

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote

Hi, I know this is probably an old subject but I can't find the answer so far. I have what I believe to be a female peahen but the other day [she is one yr old] she fanned her tail and did a little short dance like a male would. Is this proof she is a male or just something females do sometimes?
Thanking you in advance for any input.
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote

Your grumpy old moderator is happy to find a post that actually belongs here run
Peacocks, peahens and sometimes tiny fuzzy peachicks will display. This is usually to claim territory or to say who is boss. Sometimes a startled bird will flash its tail at whatever seemed dangerous. I have a lovely black shoulder spalding female that was hatched last summer and hand raised due to rejection by her mother. If I just kick near her she will be happy to spar with me alternately flashing her fan and leaping up to perform a double front snap kick for this retired Tae Kwon Do instructor.
Just look at the photos at the top of this forum and find a peahen and a juvenile with tailfan open Idea

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote

Thank you for that reply. I was sure she is a "she" and now I know for positive. She only did it once and she was being "wild" Her husband does it a lot though.
Only one yr old and looking good and doing great! Can't wait for eggs.
Thanks for this forum, wish it were more active, don't you?
Cheryl
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote

You are welcome
Yes and no. I wish that more people with sincere interest in peafowl would find and use this forum BUT wish that sellers of sports jerseys, shoes, jewelry and video games had never found this forum gaah That is how the "friendly poultry orthopedist" morphed into the "GRUMPY OLD MODERATOR" computer
---------------
EGGS?......Peahens--some of them--drop eggs from perches to cement floors Shocked
Some never get around to incubating so that wise peafowl breeding people own good incubating chickens or buy expensive incubators (and some of those are not worth having. I was introduced to the wild world of peafowl in 1988 when a man on the other side of town asked Mother if her chickens could incubate his peahen eggs. Mother died in 2001 but most of my tiny flock of hens are direct descendants of those first hens. Please note: some breeds of modern laying hens will NEVER set because they have been bred for egg production.
I do have two peahens that have hatched and raised peachicks. :egg

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics