Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Will a wild peacock attempt to breed with its offspring?
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics     
JPatterson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:49 am Reply with quote

I moved into a new house about 18 months ago where there is a male a female peacock living wild. We have since been blighted by terrible behaviour, damage to our property, and noise by the peacock. The peahen has recently had three female chicks. I am attending a parish council meeting on Wednesday to try to work out the best way to rehouse the peacocks.

I want to go armed with as much information as possible to help me if some of the residents are against rehousing. One specific question I have is will the peacock try to breed with its offspring? If so we could become overrun in a very short space of time.

Is there any other negatives of peacocks and hens roaming wild in the uk that I could highlight in this meeting?

Thank you in advance!
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote

Perhaps it will help you if you to know that most peahens do not lay eggs until they are
TWO years old. This will give you time to make plans. The only one year old peahen of
mine that did lay an egg or two produced small infertile ones.

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics