Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  5 year old IB peacock lethargic and head shaking
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health     
Peamom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:19 pm Reply with quote

Help please. Sapphire has never been sick before. He free-ranges and is the alpha of our two cocks. Yesterday he remained in the rafters in our barn all day. Today he has been lying on the barn floor. He has no visible discharge, eyes are clear, he seems pretty alert. Have not noticed any diarrhea (ie, on him) but I have not been able to identify any droppings as his. No sneezing, coughing, or swollen eyes. The only symptoms he has are lethargy and head shaking. He head shakes more when he eats. He will not eat his regular feed but will eat treats. Normally I would never do this, but I couldn't catch him, and I though his head shaking might be a sinus infection, so I gave him a Baytril tab. Which he ate in a treat. He did seem to be a little better hours later after that, he got up and stood in the sun for a bit, but now he's back lying on the floor. Flock was recently dewormed, (they had a history of Capillary worms in the past year) So they had Levamisole in July, and Strike 3 in their feed for about a month, from early August through about a week ago. I assume he got enough dewormer to not have worms. However, he never dustbathes. They have two big dustbaths in the barn, but I have not seen them use either. The hens do, but the cocks do not. What can I do for him? He is very hard to catch, even being sick. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be????
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote

curious if you repeated the levamisole in 10-14 days after the initial dose?
That should be done .
I know nothing about strike 3 but will look it up. sorry.

You also could try the 10% fenbendazole

http://www.jefferspet.com/products/safeguard-dewormer-goats-125ml

but I would try the levamisole again first, also.

Curious, what do the dustbaths have you concerned about ?
casportpony

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:56 am Reply with quote

Would be best to catch him and worm him again with Safeguard, but do it *orally*, not in food or water. The dose I would give him is 50mg/kg (0.5ml/kg) for five days. This amount will treat large roundworms, cecal worms, gapeworms, capillary worms and possibly some species of tapeworms.

Disclaimer: This is what I use. Always best to consult a vet
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health