Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  peachick sinus
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health     
Ratz1964

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:42 am Reply with quote

I purchase 7 peachicks 2weeks ago, their age ranges now from 3-5 weeks old. A couple of them starting looking like the sinus cavity between the beak and the eye was bubbling up and down with each breath. I started them on baytril 68 (3 tabs per gallon of water) last night. They have been drinking. I notice today at noon one of them is gaping. Can I give them baytril in water and also give them 1/2 cc tylan injection or ?? add tylon powder to water also. Any help or suggestions.
I also purchased some 2-3 month peafowl at the same time and one was sick when I got home and after isolated and worming, He died about a week ago. Could it be the same disease.
I do have the peachicks on wire and feeding wild gamebird starter.
Any suggestions.
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote

It takes a day or two to start seeing improvement, please give it time.
No need to go with the tylan if you are giving baytril, baytril is sufficient in itself if you are dealing with a sinusitis type infection.
You can also go with 1/2 the dose and just put in a 1/2 gallon of water or better yet, give it by mouth individually via a syringe or lace a treat you know they love and will readily devour .
Baytril tastes very bad, could be they really are not getting enough via the water.

Could be they caught what is ailing them from the other bird, hard to say, but if that bird had the same symptoms chances are what was wrong with it is your continuing problem.

Is your starter feed medicated and have those chicks been on the ground at all, perhaps before you got them, and have you wormed them at all ?

After your baytril treatment don't forget probios ( probiotics ) .
Always do this after treating with antibiotics and/or wormers.
Ratz1964

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:06 am Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. I just checked on them again this morning and they seem to be a little improved. They are drinking as much as prior to adding the baytril . I'll keep watching, if any of the them do not seem to be drinking as much or not improve as quickly, I'll try a drench , dosage? 3-5 week old.

The place I purchased them the small peachicks were on wire, but the larger birds were on ground. I've kept them separate since getting home. The sick one was isolated 4-5 hours after getting home.

There is no foaming in eyes, just the bubbling up and down of the sinus cavity betweein the eye and beak with each breath.. that has decreased since yesterday. I feed an wild game bird starter with an antibiotic. I wormed the larger peachicks with panacure when I got them home and they settled a bit. I've never wormed baby peachicks, They are only 3-5 weeks old. Is it safe to worm them? If so, same dose?

How long should I treat with batryl?

Can I use any brand probiotic for poultry? I've seen it and electrolytes in stores but was afraid to give it because peacocks was not listed on directions. Should I use the same amount directed on label for other type poultry? I can give it to my older peas now.

Again, Thank you so much for the help.
Ratz1964

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote

It has been 2 days on Baytril in water, A couple of chicks I see no improvement, not worse but no better. I'm not sure they are getting all the baytril they need, it does seem to dissolve completely in water. Does anyone know dosage via a syringe??
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:30 am Reply with quote

casportpony

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:51 am Reply with quote

Baytril works best when given orally or by injection based on the weight of the bird.

Oral solution:
http://www.ladygouldianfinch.com/product_baytril.php
http://www.allbirdproducts.com/newproductpages/baytril.html

Injectable Enfloxil (Generic Baytril):
http://www.wood-enterprises.com/inme.html

The doses I use are:
10mg/kg (0.1ml per 1000 grams) twice a day orally for no more than five days
*or*
20mg/kg (0.2ml per 1000 grams) once a day by injection in the breast muscle for no more than five days

Disclaimer: This is what I use. Always best to consult a vet
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health