Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Sick & Dying peachicks
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health Goto page 1, 2  Next    
asb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:46 am Reply with quote

Hi ,

Need urgent advice . I had 7 pea chicks between 8 to 10 weeks old and they have all taken ill suddenly . One 8 weeks and one 9 weeks ones died (yesterday and day before) even before I could react . Typical signs are fluffed feathers, drooping wings , loose (almost watery) dark green stool and different degrees of lethargy.

Four are feeding well and active but drooping wings and fluffed ,whereas one is listless and barely eating.

They have been living in a separate large cage with a concrete floor, which is cleaned of droppings every day. Have been on fresh water twice a day and medicated feed & grains (wheat) along with 2 hours outdoors feeding on bugs & greens. I have many chickens on the property but the two are not allowed to mingle at all.

Can anyone tell what I could be up against . Does is seem like an infection or worms.

We don't have a vet for miles so Any advise would be highly appreciated .
connerhills
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote

The problem is usually coccidia or blackhead . Treat with more amprolium and metronidazole It Is not usual for young checks to get worms quickly when first put on the dirt.. worm with valbazen or safeguard. Keep us posted... connerhills
asb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:51 am Reply with quote

Thanks for your advise. Their stool is not yellow or the color of sulphur (it is dark green and watery) , so from what i have read it is unlikely to have Blackhead (although I could be wrong as have no experience) . Also no blood in the stool. Is it still likely to be Coccidia or blackhead?

They are also on a amprolium medicated feed . How much more amprolium should I give them and for how many days?

Should I treat for worms along with the medication for Coccidia or do I need to give a gap between the two . Also what dosage of the wormer?
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:20 am Reply with quote

asb wrote:
Thanks for your advise. Their stool is not yellow or the color of sulphur (it is dark green and watery) , so from what i have read it is unlikely to have Blackhead (although I could be wrong as have no experience) . Also no blood in the stool. Is it still likely to be Coccidia or blackhead?

They are also on a amprolium medicated feed . How much more amprolium should I give them and for how many days?

Should I treat for worms along with the medication for Coccidia or do I need to give a gap between the two . Also what dosage of the wormer?

your feed is medicated correct ? If so...just keep them on it for now.
Not sure what you meant about how much more ampro. you should give them ? ( it's mixed in with the feed )
I would worm them, try the goat wormer ( safeguard 10% fenbendabzole) or valbazen for 3 days, then repeat in 10-14. ( you can worm them while they are eating med. food safely )
Also get them on some vitamins and electrolytes too, with probiotics included .

Those wormers don't seem to stay mixed well in water so you may want to dose them individually. What I do, and even though not an exact science by any means but it works, is to worm our birds via their bread treats.
I dab the bread in the wormer and give it to them.
Don't SOAK it in the wormer but dab it well and feed asasp. The longer the bread has a chance to soak the wormer up and get soggy, etc. the more chance your birds will not eat it readily.
If you can , get some stool samples to a vet too so hopefully you can find out just exactly what your dealing with there.

Do the birds have plenty of fresh air and some sunshine too ?
Are you seeing any mouth gaping or anything else?
asb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:48 am Reply with quote

Thanks Burdgurl,

Lost one more yesterday. Had isolated the ones that appeared more sick and those are the ones that died . Gave them the Antibiotic and the remaining Four seem to be recovering and their stool is now more or less solid.

They are on medicated feed. What I meant by more Amprolium was in powdered form mixed with their water .

Will put them on to the vitamins and probiotic . They indeed get a lot of fresh air and sun as they are outdoors for around two hours a day and their cage is also airy. No gaping or any other symptoms .

Thanks for the worming advice . Will do so right away . How many cc or ml per chick or shall I just mix in water as per the instructions?
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote

I'm so sorry to hear about you losing those chicks, frustrating at best.
Sounds like the antibiotic is doing the trick but the worming would not hurt.
personally I never give antibiotics unless I see respiratory problems , sinus issues etc.
or something that a good worming does not take care of first.
What kind of antibiotic are you giving them and what kind of wormer do you have to give them ?
asb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:25 am Reply with quote

I gave a Metronidazole antibiotic for three days which ended on last Monday night .

And am on the second day of a Mebendazole wormer as I could not find any of the suggested wormers . Hope it will work?

Despite this another of the Peachicks has suddenly become lethargic and stopped eating from this morning . I don't know what's happening as they are also on the Amprolium feed .

Can I repeat the antibiotic with such s short interval and give it simultaneously while giving the wormer . Or will it be too soon and too strong a dose as they are exactly 2 months old ?

I'm petrified of loosing any more .
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:20 am Reply with quote

asb wrote:
I gave a Metronidazole antibiotic for three days which ended on last Monday night .

And am on the second day of a Mebendazole wormer as I could not find any of the suggested wormers . Hope it will work?

Despite this another of the Peachicks has suddenly become lethargic and stopped eating from this morning . I don't know what's happening as they are also on the Amprolium feed .

Can I repeat the antibiotic with such s short interval and give it simultaneously while giving the wormer . Or will it be too soon and too strong a dose as they are exactly 2 months old ?

I'm petrified of loosing any more .

metronidazole is good for blackhead, not broad spectrum. Most antibiotics are given 7-10 days, 2x a day but I would have to check on the metro. dosage info , will later.

I strongly suspect worms of some type, not sure about using your Mebendazole and how effective that would be.
hopefully fenbendazole or again, valbazen, will get you on the right track .
You should notice a diff. in a couple of days if parasites are the problem.
You can give antibiotics at the same time as wormers but really I would hold off on the antibiotics for now and concentrate on the wormers.
Also, look in the birds mouths and see what's going on in there, also...are you seeing any head shaking at all ? Bound to be some more symptoms.

Check this site out, maybe it will give you some ideas.
http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disproto.htm

and here http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disparas.htm

Last edited by burdgurl on Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote

I just looked up mebendazole and found this at Wikipedia :
doesn't sound like a good choice for a wormer... SLOW to work for one thing.
Are you in the US ?

Medical use[edit]

Mebendazole is a highly effective, broad-spectrum antihelmintic indicated for the treatment of nematode infestations, including roundworm, hookworm, whipworm, threadworm, pinworm, and the intestinal form of trichinosis prior to its spread into the tissues beyond the digestive tract. Other drugs are used to treat worm infections outside the digestive tract, as mebendazole is poorly absorbed into the bloodstream.[3] Mebendazole is used alone in those with mild to moderate infestations. It kills parasites relatively slowly, and in those with very heavy infestations, it can cause some parasites to migrate out of the digestive system, leading to appendicitis, bile duct problems, or intestinal perforation. To avoid this, heavily infested patients may be treated with piperazine, either before or instead of mebendazole. Piperazine paralyses the parasites, causing them to pass in the feces.[5] It is also used rarely in the treatment of hydatid disease. Evidence for effectiveness for this disease, however, is poor.[6]

Mebendazole and other benzimidazole antithelmetics are active against both larval and adult stages of nematodes, and in the cases of roundworm and whipworm, kill the eggs, as well. Paralysis and death of the parasites occurs slowly, and elimination in the feces may require several days.[3]
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote

asb wrote:
Thanks Burdgurl,

Lost one more yesterday. Had isolated the ones that appeared more sick and those are the ones that died . Gave them the Antibiotic and the remaining Four seem to be recovering and their stool is now more or less solid.

They are on medicated feed. What I meant by more Amprolium was in powdered form mixed with their water .

Will put them on to the vitamins and probiotic . They indeed get a lot of fresh air and sun as they are outdoors for around two hours a day and their cage is also airy. No gaping or any other symptoms .

Thanks for the worming advice . Will do so right away . How many cc or ml per chick or shall I just mix in water as per the instructions?

Also, please let us know your set up in more detail about their living space.
2 hours a day outside is really not much, they could use a lot more time outside.
Otherwise, are you keeping them in a dark and damp area , not necessarily speaking of INSIDE their cage but around it also ?
Do they have a lot of room to exercise and are you making sure their getting good fresh water? Ideal to change it out 2 x a day if you can.
Is their food kept fresh and dry and free of rodents?
I'm just trying to figure out more about their living conditions is all, sorry for all the questions.
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:57 am Reply with quote

This may not be much help to you but........
I have been very careful to purchase chick starter medicated with Amprolium after a
calamety that may have been caused when my starter contained Bacitracin. I had two
spalding peachicks seven weeks old at that time. One of those was suddenly dead in the
morning (no warning) and the companion was ill and seemed very upset about loss of
sibling. Was told to treat him with Sulmet and he did recover to live 13 years

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:21 am Reply with quote

Don't mind all the questions Burdgirl and truly appreciate your concern and time spent in assisting me with this.

No respiratory symptoms. No discharge . I thought one looked like it was gaping but it stopped.The one that's taken ill now is puffed up with drooping feathers with no appetite . His dropping have now turned yellowish and loose , whereas the ones that died earlier had very watery dark green stool . So don't know what I'm up against . They are all on medicated Amprolium feed. Water is changed twice a day .

They are now just 4 Peachicks and are housed in a 9 feet x 6 feet x height 7 feet room , which has mesh on two sides and is airy and gets direct sunlight . The floor is concrete and there are 3 wooden perches at different heights of 4 inches width . Room is cleaned of dropping once a day and the only dampness that comes to mind is from the cleaning . I clean the floor with a hose pipe to get rid of the droppings . And the floor remains wet till it dries out.

The reason I don't let them out for longer is as I was trying to contain their feeding on earthworms , snails etc as I was told that that is where the worm infestation comes from . Also I have a dog at the farm who is not yet trained inot to go for Peafowl .

Will put them on the wormer as suggested by you and after slight gap in to another course of the broad spectrum antibiotic . Gosh ! not quite sure what's wrong with them as the symptoms especially the poop is confusing . First the dark green & watery and now the yellow and watery .
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:11 am Reply with quote

This is perplexing , personally I wouldn't hose the floor down anymore, it MAY be drawing biting flies ( buffalo gnats.etc.) that may be part of the problem .

Check out http://www.unitedpeafowlassociation.org/DISEASESOFPEAFOWL.html
and here http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/poultry/bloodborne_organisms/leucocytozoonosis_in_poultry.html
and take a look at Leucocytozoonosis, this " could" be part of your problem or main problem, is a shot in the dark really .
Don't like to go the shotgun approach with treatment but in some cases we have no recourse in the matter thanks to the lack of proper vet. care readily available to many of us.

I'd get them on a sulfa drug ASAP such as albon, sulmet or
ideally
the generic form of Bactrim would prob. be best and is called sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim.
You can get the Sulfa Trimeth without an RX as a fish med . at Jeffers, maybe even locally if you have a good pond supply place close by that caters to koi and the such, possibly at PetSmart.

This is what you would be looking for per the fish meds. http://www.jefferspet.com/products/sulfa-forte-capsules-60ct
Don't worry about other antibiotics while treating with the sulfa drug, prob. good to get them on the sulfa and see what happens, you may see some positive results once you get that started. ( it can treat a lot of diff. problems )
Usually once you start treating birds for whatever ails them you'll see positive results begin within 24-36 hours if what your doing is working, least that's always been the case with ours.

Green stool can be a sign of many things such as stress, gut erosion, dehydration, etc., hard to say for sure what the underlying problem is.
Since you've tried the metronidazole I would go ahead and give the fenbendazole or valbazen in conjunction with the sulfa drug.
IF you can take them off medicated feed... just while treating with the sulfa ... it may be a good idea.
Not sure if you would have problems or not giving them ampro. and sulfa at the same time. Believe I've done it in the past w/out any issues but just to be safe I'd give another type of feed during the sulfa treatment. ( 7-10 days )

Don't forget the vitamins, electrolytes & with probiotics too, they need it during the treatment period and for a couple weeks after also.
Keep us posted please, sure hope you don't lose anymore !

Last edited by burdgurl on Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
asb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:08 pm Reply with quote

Will get them on a Sulpha drug as soon as possible and stop the hose pipe washing . Will keep you posted on the outcome . Fingers crossed it works . Thanks a lot for the links .
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote

Good luck, hope that works !
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health Goto page 1, 2  Next