Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  MIDDLE AGED PEAHEN MURDERED BY DOGS
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » General Discussion     
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote

Xena is way past the normal age for a peahen to lay her first egg. She looks just like her
mother ( a spalding who is green with small white markings)
A few days ago I saw Xena sitting under perch but there was no egg under her. Then I
saw her in the posture of a peahen that has an egg inside her. I dropped some oyster
shell in front of her and she pecked at it a bit. I cut some cherry tomatos in two and hand
fed them to her. She did like that. As time went by I noticed a sad distressed expression
on Xena's face. Then, this morning I found an egg under the perch....the size of a guinea
egg but longer and thinner. (I do NOT have guineas)
Xena is never going to be a member of breeding flock and belongs here at Malfunction and
Dysfunction Junction where she is at home

Last edited by D C T on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:36 pm Reply with quote

I heard dog barking Wednesday morning. I picked up two shotgun shells along with the shotgun and hurried to the pen where Xena lived with Ambien, my bright red bearded Easter egger rooster. A dog that appeared to be part German Shepard was still working on Ambien's dead body. Xena was dead, too. There was a medium size brown dog who was doing the barking. Both dogs were female and well fed. The one that was by Ambien stopped working on him with her right side to me as I aimed and shot the side of her chest from a few feet away.
the other dog went under an air conditioner cabinet trying to hide and then began to come out as I came very close with reloaded gun and aimed carefully since I did not wish to shoot my feet.
Then I searched for how these dogs got into a sturdy dogwire pen with roof metal along the base. I found some disturbance of the sandy soil at one spot and tried lifting the dogwire which was hard to lift even just a bit. If I had not found those dogs in the pen I would not have believed that they came in that way.
The old shotgun "kills at both ends" so there is an ugly bruise on my arm but I would be willing to shoot it many more times if needed. gaah
Am certain that if I had not been home those dogs could have forced their way into other pens with their dogged determination.

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » General Discussion