Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  14 day hatch
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care     
DXBPete

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:44 am Reply with quote

14 days from the time she starting sitting on the eggs. Seems our summer temperatures are ideal for incubation as the first chick hatched two weeks after sitting followed three days later by a second and now a third is pipping. Before the second hatched, the peahen had abandoned the nest and started teaching the first to scratch for insects. After two days of being left in the nest, I moved #2 and the pipping egg under the peahen where she was sitting with #1.

#2 is moving around well and following the hen. #3, the pipping egg, has a quarter sized hole in the shell (third day) and the membrane is dark and almost entirely intact. Hen is not interested in sitting on it. I inspected it an hour ago and the chick is chirping and moving weakly. Decided to assist but stopped when I noticed a drop of blood. Placed the egg back in the nest which the peacock is shading with his tail.

Still in the nest are five eggs plus the partially hatched one.

Looking at the historical temperature for the last month. Highs average about 112, max 122. Lows in the low 80's. Humidity from 7% to 56%, fluctuating throughout the day.

This is our second successful season. Season one produced one peacock but he was recently killed by the older peacock after the new eggs were laid. We now have a second peafowl pen ready.

Tried adding pictures but the link to add isn't working. Trying on flikr.

[img]peahen and peachicks[/img]
[img]pipping[/img]
DXBPete

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:57 am Reply with quote

Past sunset here and Juliet settled down with her chicks at the opposite corner from the nest and ignored the chirps from the partially opened egg.

No progress made getting out of the shell after almost three days. I just removed all of the shell and what I could of the membrane. Stretching out it seems normally formed and it's very vocal. I tried to place it under the hen but she relocated with the other chicks. Going to check in 30 minutes and see if she goes back to the new one. Not optimistic though. Will try to place it again with the hen.

Ideas? Suggestions?
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote

Pete,

I really am scratching my head about this one.
# 1, the embryos in the eggs need a minimum of 24-25 days during the incubation period to fully form all organs, absorb the yolk sacs, etc

#2. temps. like you mention would literally COOK the eggs and the embryos would have no chance for survival, usually if you go over around 103 degrees then the embryos get toasted ( almost literally ) .
http://msucares.com/poultry/reproductions/poultry_temp.html
See last paragraph : "Temperatures only a degree or two above the recommended temperatures can kill chicks within 15-30 minutes, depending on how high the temperature is and the stage of development of the chick embryo."
This temp. would be 99-100 during incubation of peafowl eggs.

Now granted, like it says in the above article , "The incubation temperature of naturally (nest) incubated eggs is controlled by the hen" .... apparently she did just that !
However, no way do I believe that those chicks fully formed and hatched at 14 days, are you SURE you counted your days correctly ?!

As far as that one chick goes that the hen is not accepting, she prob. senses there is something wrong with it and will not accept it and actually might kill it, you prob. would do best to take it away from her and try to raise it yourself in a brooder.
DXBPete

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:14 am Reply with quote

Hello Burdgirl,

Not saying they hatched 14 days from being laid. Now that I've researched dates, I'm saying the first chick hatched 16 days after the hen sat on the nest. We were in disbelief as well. I'm not as young as my wife so I did some digging around for dates of events from text message, private messages and dates recorded on photographs.

9 May: 6 eggs in nest. Hi 107, Lo 86
10 May: Hi 101, Lo 86
11 May: I purchased two bales of straw to line the pen with. Hi 107, Lo 79
12 May: Hi 109, Lo 82
13 May: Hi 110, Lo 81
14 May: Hi 109, Lo 82
15 May: Hi 110, Lo 81
16 May: Hi 113, Lo 80
17 May: 9th egg laid. Hi 108, Lo 81.
18 May: Hi 104, Lo 77
19 May: Hi 104, Lo 74
20 May: Hen sitting on nest. Hi 108, Lo 72
21 May: Hi 107, Lo 75
22 May: Hi 109, Lo 79
23 May: Hi 110, Lo 81
24 May: Hi 108, Lo 86
25 May: Hi 111, Lo 87
26 May: Hi 108, Lo 84
27 May: Hi 108, Lo 81
28 May: Hi 108, Lo 78
29 May: Hi 106, Lo 76
30 May: Hi 109, Lo 82
31 May: Hi 113, Lo 88
1 June: Hi 116, Lo 85
2 June: Hi 122, Lo 85
3 June: Hi 118, Lo 89
4 June: Hi 115, Lo 89
5 June: First chick heard in nest. 16 days since hen sat on nest. Hi 105, Lo 86
6 June: Second chick hatches. Hi 107, Lo 87
7 June: First chick walking with hen. Hen abandons nest. I noticed the partial hatching of #3. Hi 107, Lo 86
8 June: Hi 114, Lo 85
9 June: Hi 116, Lo 86
10 June: 6 eggs remain in nest. #1 is with hen. #2 is inside our house after being attacked by hen. My wife is nursing #3 which I'd given up hope on. I still don't give it any chance.
Numbers 4 through 9 are as she left them in the nest. Took an infrared thermometer out and the eggs are reading too high to display so I imagine they're 113 degrees, the same as the outside air temperature now.

I'm going to wait another day before disturbing the eggs. We're not expecting any others to hatch but I'll check for signs of life when I get home from work tomorrow.
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote

Burdgurl is correct in telling you to help that peachick
The temperature in Dubai is way hotter that it is here in sunny Georgia USA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:08 am Reply with quote

#3 passed last night and #2 is under my shirt collar as I type this. It seems pretty happy.
DXBPete

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:06 am Reply with quote

Final post. #2 and 3 passed. First born is healthy. We opened the abandoned eggs and found 3 of the 6 fully formed. Lesson for next season to grab and incubate the eggs when she abandons the nest the first time.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care