Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  PLEASE HELP - PEAHEN CAN'T STAND UP
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health     
Judy Davis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:04 pm Reply with quote

Just found one of my peahens (5 years old) laying on the ground in the loafing shed- she can't stand up at all.
Have 6 total - 2 cocks, 4 hens. They are free range, but can't find any signs of attack. If I try to stand her up she just falls forward. She seemed fine this morning when she came to me to get a couple of sliced grapes.

Appreciate any advise!!
I'm in a panic

Judy Davis
MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote

It sounds like she is very sick. Have you wormed your peafowl at all?

This topic here might help you out because it sounds like a similar situation:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/941155/weak-peahen-cant-walk-without-stumbling-and-toppling-over

I will try and get you some help I haven't had this happen to me and I don't think I am the best one to answer your problem, but I am going to contact someone who can give some good advice.
casportpony

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote

Can you call me? 408.605.2954

-Kathy
casportpony

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote

She needs serious help ASAP and it would be easier for me to offer advice on the phone. That's what I did for the gal in the thread that Minxfox posted a link for. I promise I'm not some whacko, but if you're concerned, check out my profile here:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/u/151473/casportpony

Hope to hear from you soon. BTW, I'm on the west coast, so it's okay to call until 12 west coast time.

-Kathy
MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:15 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Kathy! Wink
Judy Davis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:54 am Reply with quote

Thank you both so much for your replies!!!
I put her in a protected area last night. She was alert and ate a little lettuce and corn.
Checked on her several times during the night and she hadn't moved, but again was alert.
I went out this morning and she is standing!! Again ate some treat food (grapes, chopped lettuce, and brown rice)
She took a couple of steps away from me- seems to be her left leg.
Now I am wondering if it might have been an attack and an injury to her leg(there is no blood or wounds that I can find.
Kathy, I will take you up on your kind offer and give you a call later
One of my chickens (8 years old) died yesterday morning- she had been slowing down the last few weeks and was very quiet yesterday morning and I found her in the dog house after I had turned them out for the day.
All the other chickens seem fine, but after I found my peahen unable to stand and not giving too much resistance to me picking her up, I was worried about something contagious. (no, they have not been wormed lately)
Thank your so much for your reply and concern.
I will talk to you later.
Judy
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote

I am not certain that this tale of woe will help but here it is Confused
In 1989 a peachick was given to me because she was straddle legged. She was an India
blue a few days old. I treated her problem and she enjoyed good health for two years
including her only breeding season. It was in the fall when she completely lost use of her
right leg quite suddenly. In those days there was a state poultry lab just one hour's
drive away. I phoned the lab doctor and made plans to take her there the next day.
The doctor also gave me instructions for keeping a dead peahen fresh for necropsy.
Poor "Lucky" did die later that day. I was permitted to observe the necropsy and the
doctor pointed out the nerve leading to the right leg. It was black presumably from
Marek's disease. The only good news is that the other peahens and the peacock that
lived with Lucky did not even get sick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health