Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Peacocks roaming free where I live
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » General Discussion     
protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:26 am Reply with quote

I live in a community in South Florida We inherited some peacocks abandoned by an orange grove where they originally were brought and lived. The grove was next to our development and the land was sold to a housing developer. All this happened 20 years ago. We now have about 200 peacocks. Recently, I spotted a white female who came to my yard with it's mother. This is the first white I have ever seen. I work constantly to protect the peacocks who roam here. They are very trusting of people and not all like them. They come to our yard during the day and sit under the shade trees and drink the water. Our development is very park-like and has many large trees and lakes.
About 3 years ago, some people here tried to do away with the birds, but thanks to some people and myself, we saved them. I checked with everyone I could find about relocating some of the birds, but was not successful. So, the birds remain here, but continue to multiply. They are wild and just roam the development. Any helpful suggestions to help the birds or protect them would be appreciated.
Sandie
connerhills
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:46 am Reply with quote

Welcome ,, I understand the conditions there and have followed this info for a number of years. I really is not the birds that are the problem,,,,,,, It is the people ,, Try to change some of their minds and you might make more headway .. I have found that over the years you have people that dont mind them and then you have people that don't like anything ,,, kinda like our government,,, good luck .. connerhills
MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:06 pm Reply with quote

Do you know the main reasons why people don't like them?

Maybe if you did a survey to find out the top reasons why some people do not like them, you could then use that info to help protect the birds by educating the people.

I figure it is the normal complaints - Noise, poop, eating garden plants, etc.

A big problem would be if the peafowl are jumping onto people's cars and scratching them. Often this can be an issue with free-range peafowl and it can be a harder problem to fix if people don't have a garage to put their car in.

As for noise, if you sell or give away half or more of the males the noise level should be reduced.

Free-range peafowl will of course poop on people's driveway, front porch, etc. The good news is this poop is great for plants! Tell people to add it to their compost bins or ad it directly around their plants. It DOES make a difference and really helps the plants and to me, it doesn't smell bad.

Educating people might help. Perhaps some people that complain about them haven't taken the time to observe them and watch the males display for the peahens and watch how the peahen will visit several males before deciding on which one she wants to mate with. Perhaps they have not paid attention to the loving bond a peahen has with her peachicks. They are fun to watch.

If nothing works, you could give/sell off a lot of the peafowl and then keep some and make a nice aviary for them to live in. That way they won't bother people by walking though their yard and pooping on their porch or porche haha.

I know the goal is to keep the peafowl and allow them to be free, but 200 is A LOT. I wish you lots of luck though in your efforts! I hope people will get to know the birds and not just complain about them.
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:35 am Reply with quote

I have read where there are problems with wild free roaming peafowl in certain areas of Ca. & Florida, understand how they could be problematic for some.
I also see sad stories about issues with too many Canadian geese , in some cases they have been gathered and gassed ...no sense in that.

I think it would be a good idea to simply find the eggs and do away with them BEFORE they hatch. This may entail removing a hen from the nest itself but if a diligent search was performed early in the season ( NOW would be an excellent time to look for them ) the clutches of eggs can be found and destroyed before setting even begins.
Look in tall grassy areas, other places a bird could try and "hide".
Rather it go that way than to see any birds suffer.

Getting the word out here & at other poultry related sites also, like maybe backyard chickens , is a good start to help find homes for the grown ones.
Craigslist is another option, list them not only in Fla. but nearby surrounding states.

Last edited by burdgurl on Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote

Great idea BurdGurl! Yes and destroying the eggs doesn't mean you have to throw them away. infact you can eat peafowl eggs I eat one from time to time. that can be the incintive for people to search for the eggs and perhaps people might enjoy the birds more if they get free eggs from them in the spring and summer time. Of course you need to find the eggs quickly before they develop if you want to eat them.
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:12 pm Reply with quote

MinxFox wrote:
Great idea BurdGurl! Yes and destroying the eggs doesn't mean you have to throw them away. infact you can eat peafowl eggs I eat one from time to time. that can be the incintive for people to search for the eggs and perhaps people might enjoy the birds more if they get free eggs from them in the spring and summer time. Of course you need to find the eggs quickly before they develop if you want to eat them.

oh yes, perfectly fine to eat if fresh .
Would've been a great Easter Egg hunt project for that area too !
Zenith49

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote

I also live in south Florida in an older residential neighborhood. The cops stopped by today saying there had been multiple complaints about a) the noise and b) damage to roofs. The noise thing I get, but damage to a roof??? We have 2 girls and 4 boys and they spend the bulk of their time on our roof. We've got no damage on our roof, so I have no idea what the complainant is referring to. I told the cop that I would like to see the damage that they think the birds are doing, so he took my phone number - presumably to pass on to the caller.

I'm not really sure what to do about this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

LT

burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote

They prob. are talking about poop on the roof, only thing I can think of .
Are yours the only peafowl in the 'hood that are the culprits? Wink
If your birds are like my neighbors dogs , their dogs wander a lot and love to relieve themselves here and in everyone elses yard, least that's how it seems. Laughing
Doesn't bother me any, I have 5 dogs and lots of farm birds, to step in the occasional poop is an everyday occurrence for me but I can see how someone not used to it may not be happy about the situation.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » General Discussion