Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Shredded Feathers problem -- picture link
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health     
RunDanRun
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote

I have a couple yearling peacocks (no peahens) and one adult whose feathers seem like they are being shredded... something possibly eating them (mice?) or maybe there's a deficiency in their diet (but other peafowl are not showing the same signs). Some of the feathers are down to the quill. I'm not sure what the issue is. Could they be doing this to themselves?

Here are some pictures (link below) of what I'm talking about. The pic of the India Blue is a 6-year-old peacock and his train should be 5 or 6 feet long...instead, it's the ravaged thing he has now. Other peacocks in the pen all have full trains. Also, the pic of the wings and head are of a yearling bronze peacock. Again, you can see the damage...not sure it's self-pecking as it would be tough for him to do his own head... open to suggestions/questions.

http://s801.photobucket.com/user/RunDanRun/library/Peafowl/Peafowl%20Shredded%20Feathers[/img]
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote

Yesterday I clicked the link to pictures and failed to see them....so.....
I removed the "img" as I tried again and did see pictures.
----------
then when I was about to post my reply...my computer crashed and ate my reply computer gaah
----------
to see photos try this link

http://s801.photobucket.com/user/RunDanRun/library/Peafowl/Peafowl%20Shredded%20Feathers#/user/RunDanRun/library/Peafowl/Peafowl%20Shredded%20Feathers?sort=3&page=1&_suid=1426027828515001290656388764333

Last edited by D C T on Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote

I am reasonably certain that the wing feather and train damage are indeed self inflicted
but not the head feather damage.
I have a white spalding peacock that has been bad about messing up his flight feathers
and train. I have tried feeding him dry cat food to provide extra protein. This did seem to
work....and then he did it again. I have NEVER actually seen him doing it. There is a
peahen in his pen, spalding but not white. She has NO feather damage but the tip of her
beak is always ragged for some reason that she keeps as a secret. Normal wear should
round off the jagged mess, but does not.

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:18 pm Reply with quote

not sure, by any chance are these birds getting chased by the others, could they possibly be doing this to themselves by hitting/rubbing the fences ?
My next thought would be possibly mites and/or lice but again, not sure.
Do you have any guineas in the pens with them? They can be hard on the males tails by picking at/ pulling out feathers...just another thought.

Just played around with the img tags for your link RunDanRun, not sure why it didn't work that way but
thanks DCT for the correction .
I practiced with a random photo off the net here using the img tags (removed photo for was copywrited ) & the img tags worked fine for it, go figure !
MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:34 am Reply with quote

I would treat them for mites or lice. Even if that is not the cause, it won't hurt to treat them. I had to treat mine recently. I used seven dust - it is for plants but many people use it on birds and have done so for many years so don't let the warning label freak you out. I put the dust on their perches, around the pen - especially in the places where they dust bathe. Since it is so extreme on these birds I personally would catch them and dust them - don't get it in their eyes or mouth. Look carefully at their face and see if you see bugs crawling on them. My birds get bird lice, and you can see the lice crawl to their eye and drink from the eye. They like to hide in the peafowl's ear. You can hold the peafowl and push back the ear feathers and look in the ear to see if there are any lice hiding there. If this is a lice or a mite problem there might be a lot.

Other things it could be are:

Stress

Space issue - Are they overcrowded? Usually people go by 100 sq ft. per peafowl.

Boredom - Are they getting an interesting variety of food? You can feed peafowl leftover food or old leftovers for something new and interesting for them to eat. Throwing some treats all around the pen will help encourage the birds to forage for some of their meal like they would in the wild. This can be done with bread, lettuce, cat food, etc but continue to put their main food in the dishes. An area sectioned off with a wooden frame filled up with leaves can give them a fun area to dig through to search for bugs. Another idea is to make a frame with small hole fencing over the top and to seed the inside of the frame with grass. The peafowl will be able to snack on the grass when it gets high, but they won't be able to destroy all of the grass since the fencing will prevent that. Or you could try what I do and seed the whole pen with grass seed - do this before a big rain - and then they will have plenty of grass to snack on whenever they want.

Unfortunately I have a friend who had a high % Spalding peacock that would feather pick his train similar to how yours have picked their wing feathers. He couldn't figure out why his peacock was doing it. I have been told by a Green peafowl breeder to never buy a green peafowl that feather picks because you will never be able to break this habit. So perhaps it is a weird physiological thing.

I would keep an eye on them and watch for who specifically is doing the pecking. After reading what you said again, you may have too many males in one pen and you might want to separate some of them because they could be picking on lower ranking males too much. Perhaps even giving them a dog house or palate to hide in or behind would be helpful.

Mainly you will just have to experiment to find a solution, but there are products out there that prevent pecking such as spray or I think some blue stuff that you put on the bird and makes them or other birds not pick on their feathers. You can also put anti peck devices on them if it comes down to that.
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:47 am Reply with quote

Some years ago there was a low percentage spalding that I sold to a friend when he was
a young healthy peacock. After he became exceptionally self destructive she returned him
to me for treatment because she was busy caring for sick husband. I created a series of
devices simular to a "turkey saddle" (these are sold for protection of female turkeys in the
breeding season). The materials I used were large plastic orange juice jugs with duck
(duct) tape to attach it. He did grow back some feathers and skin but whenever not
wearing a saddle he would he would eat himself. He ate feathers, skin, and muscle to
bare bones if he got a chance. This sad battle lasted for a long time and ended with the
death of that poor peacock.
---------------
My white spalding peacock, Shasta, just strips the side of feather leaving the spine which
is much like photos in that link. I have a black shoulder spalding that just messes up the
part of his train that is easiest for him to reach.
---------------
hmmm...this seems to be a male problem so far. Does anybody have a self destructive
female?

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:58 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I have decided to try to thin out the number of birds in the pen. Not sure if it's going to work or not, but we'll see. I do have to say that so far this has only been a "male" bird problem -- none of my hens have done this. I'll also check for lice and mites, which I have not noticed any, but I will look more closely. Sorry about the image problem!
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health