Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  MORE MURDER AT MALFUNCTION JUNCTION
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » General Discussion     
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote

I have been suffering from a cold, cough, and/or flu so I was still in bed this morning
listening to Christian radio station when I began to hear barking. I turned off the radio and
hauled my hurting body out of bed. Then I hastily put on socks, shoes, pants and a jacket.
But the shotgun shells had hidden themselves under some clutter so all I had when I went
down the Peacock Pathway was a good heavy cane. A black dog was on the pathway
but a tiger striped (brindled) bulldog was in pen with my white spalding pair, Everest and
Kid and Kid's Green Mother. The Green Mother was in a heap nearly dead in a corner.
I put my birds into the coop and shut the door leaving the dog in the pen to go back and
find those shotgun shells. So when I got back the dog gone dogs were gone.
Now why did I not shut that bulldog in the coop?......well, it was easier to get the birds in
there and I have been coughing and sneezing my head off for several days.
---------------------------
CAN ANYBODY TELL ME IF A KILLER DOG WILL RETURN TO ITS VICTIM?
I have moved Everest and Kid to a different coop/pen. I still have the large box trap
that I bought years ago when my problem was the bob cat that was eating Mother's
geese.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote

Hello,
I don't specifically know anything about dogs and peafowl, but dogs will get a "taste" for chasing and/or killing chickens, and will return to chase/kill them again over and over until they're stopped. This might not be good news, but at least it might be helpful. Good luck
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote

Valerie Jo wrote:
Hello,
I don't specifically know anything about dogs and peafowl, but dogs will get a "taste" for chasing and/or killing chickens, and will return to chase/kill them again over and over until they're stopped. This might not be good news, but at least it might be helpful. Good luck

Thank you for your reply.
So far all I have caught in the big box trap baited with the dead peahen is one of my kittens kat
The white spalding pair were moved to a different pen while the pen that was invaded has
been left unrepaired in case either of the dogs come back.
Dogs and possums are the main predators here. People keep telling me that coons are a
problem. OK, I know that those do exist in nearby forest and as roadkill but I just never
see them on my two little acres. Perhaps all the dogs keep them away gaah

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote

well hopefully the dogs were strays just passing through, or have been contained by their owners. I would worry about possums being attracted to the dead peahen though...

I have had coons in my pen here in southern michigan, but luckily they just ate the food and didn't mess with my birds Smile
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote

What harm can possums do to dead peahen Question Confused
Not long ago my peahen in male plumage was murdered and at first there was some
confusion about what did that but on several different nights a possum would enter the
big box trap with her body and become buzzard food

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » General Discussion