Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  So I need help to save the noble peafowl
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » General Discussion     

Should peafowl be eaten for Xmas?
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 2

PeacockLiberationFront

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote

I have a friend who is intending to kill and eat a peafowl (or three, not entirely sure) for Xmas. The little guy is pretty friendly and adorable, so I made a Facebook page in support of saving him. It's slightly comedic, but she will let me take him to my parents farm if I get 150 people to agree that he deserves to go uneaten. Please help! The Facebook page can be found at

www.facebook.com/peacockliberationfront

Or you can probably just search for it as Peacock Liberation Front.
MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:20 pm Reply with quote

I personally would not eat one of my peafowl, but hey, peafowl were once eaten instead of turkeys for Thanksgiving. Even today over in China they have huge peafowl breeding facilities where the peafowl are raised up and killed to be eaten. The feathers are just a by-product, so the feathers go to craft stores. That is probably where craft store peacock feathers come from in fact. That is why I sell feathers as cruelty free. Anyways, people buy turkeys and raise them up to eat them for Thanksgiving. That is life. The hamburgers we eat are from cows raised up to be killed to feed us. The best that can be done is to take good care of all animals, even if they are going to be eaten one day. If your friend is taking good care of the birds, then I see no issue. It is sad to me yes, but people do it all the time. Eating a bird you raised is better than buying one because you know what went into it and you know it isn't full of growth hormones.

Like I said I personally would not be able to eat one of my peafowl, but some people don't raise birds to be pets they raise them as food. Everyone has their own right to raise animals for food if they wish to or to keep them as pets instead. As long as the animals are being well taken care of, I see no issue.

I would be more worried about the poor conditions of battery hens instead: http://www.upc-online.org/thinking/lifeofhen.htm

I do have to say though, you get more meat on a turkey, so you can tell your friend that. She won't get as much meat with a peafowl. Also, if the peacock is older then a year, his meat might be tough. I think people say to eat them when they are around a year old, but I am not sure.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » General Discussion