Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  My 3 month old baby peachick has started picking at its self
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health     
Phyllisleblanc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:39 pm Reply with quote

The peachick is pulling all feathers on its back and picking at skin. The skin is dry and crusty. I noticed a small amount of blood this afternoon. Has anyone had this type of problem?? I don't want to loose this peachick, it's my first black shoulder. Any help would be appreciated on how to help this baby.
MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:11 pm Reply with quote

Is the peachick in a small area or crowded in a pen with other peachicks? Feather picking or self mutilation is usually a sign of stress. They can be stressed due to not enough space, boredom, etc. Also, does the peachick have mites? You might want to put a dish filled up with clean sand in there for the peachick to dust bathe. Dust baths help peafowl naturally get parasitic bugs off of their feathers.

I really hate recommending this, but to keep your peachick from really hurting itself more or others is you might need to buy a anti-peck device for the peachick. Here is a link to some anti-peck devices: http://cutlersupply.com/zen_new51/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4&zenid=e6806edfc9708dcf008a965690fdea12

I have also read that you can switch out the light for a red light. Generally when they start picking and see the red color of blood, it encourages them to pick more so the red light makes it so that they can't see the blood.

I hope this helps. I haven't dealt with this before, but visited a peafowl breeder who had some half grown peachicks with this problem. He said it was his fault because he hadn't moved them to a larger pen soon enough and they all started picking on each other due to overcrowding.

Oh also wanted to add...There is also anti-peck medication that you can spray on. Here it is: http://cutlersupply.com/zen_new51/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_112
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote

I have a mature white spalding peacock who damaged his train every year by what
seemed to be overpreening but then he ate tips of feathers from his body and back until
he looked like a frizzle chicken. I began to suspect that he was hungry for protein and
began giving him an extra share of the dry cat food that my birds enjoy for a treat. His
new train looks good so far and he no longer looks like a frizzle chicken.

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health