Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Transport Incubated hatching eggs
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care     
asb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:39 am Reply with quote

Hi,

Was wondering if someone would be able to assist with a dilemma I'm in.

I have a home & and a small farm which are around a 4-5 hours drive apart. I have the peafowl at the farm. As I live away from the farm and I'm better able to keep an eye on my incubators at my home. As a result quite often the hens have laid the eggs and also started incubating before I can get there to pick them up (to transport to my home) before natural incubation starts.

I now plan on moving eggs that have been incubated (would also prefer a hen or brooding chicken to incubate for the first week) to my home and dont quite know how to keep them warm during the journey so that they dont go bad.

Thanks,
MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:00 pm Reply with quote

4 to 5 hours is a long time. I have moved incubated eggs to my friend's house but that was a 30 min. drive.

I have a GQF Styrofoam incubator so I opened the incubator and wrapped hand towels around the eggs so that they would be secure. Then I closed the incubator and unplugged it. Next I carefully rushed it to my truck and put it down on the floorboard of the passenger side. I didn't turn on the air conditioning the whole ride. It got hot in the truck, but I didn't want to have any chance of chilling the eggs. Since it was only a 30 min drive I probably could have turned on some low air conditioning, but for a 4 to 5 hour drive I wouldn't turn on air or if you can stand it maybe turn on the heater. Another thing to be mindful of is bumps in the road. Try not to hit any bumps or try to go over railroad tracks carefully.

If you don't have a little Styrofoam incubator you could maybe use a Styrofoam cooler with towels inside and maybe a heating pad under the towels. Something to keep the eggs warm.

Wink
asb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:20 am Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your response. Sorry for not acknowledging earlier as I went on an extensive trip and did not get the chance to write back.

The cooler is a good idea , but since I wrote I have been suggested to buy a car inverter which plugs into the cigarette lighter socket and converts DC power to AC power. Most incubators can be plugged into this inverter for around 4-5 hours and work as they normally would . So its a matter of simply disconnecting from your house electric socket and plugging it into the car socket.I haven't tried it so far but intend to. Will let you know how it goes .
jma325

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:55 am Reply with quote

catch
POST HAS BEEN DELETED
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote

GRUMPY OLD MODERATOR AT WORK gaah

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care