Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Brinsea Octogon 20 Advance EX Incubator
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care     
asb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:26 am Reply with quote

Hi,

Has anyone used the Brinsea Octogon 20 Advance EX incubator for hatching Peafowl eggs.If so how many peafowl eggs can fit into it ? Also what is your opinion on the same as I intend buying one shortly?

Thanks
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote

You can go to their site below and find out more about them per capacity, etc.
Doesn't mention peafowl specifically but am guessing around 12- 15.
Personally if I were going to buy one and spend that kind of money on it I'd go ahead and get a gqf or dickey cabinet model .
More room, better air flow, etc. etc. I get excellent results with my gqf and it's an older sportsman model.
https://www.brinsea.com/Brochures/Oct20A_leaflet_web.pdf
asb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:37 am Reply with quote

Thanks very much . It's just that it's my first time with peafowl
Eggs and I did not want to leave anything including the humidity
To chance . Hence the Brinsea .

Wood you have the website of the brand you suggested . And
Can you suggest some simple hatchers for the last three
Days of incubation
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote

asb wrote:
Thanks very much . It's just that it's my first time with peafowl
Eggs and I did not want to leave anything including the humidity
To chance . Hence the Brinsea .

Wood you have the website of the brand you suggested . And
Can you suggest some simple hatchers for the last three
Days of incubation

Understand and the proper humidity is very important as is the right temp. , air flow/exchange.
The dickey site is here : http://dickeyincubators.com/products.htm and generally is a little more affordable than the gqf which is here :

https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_listOneCategory.asp?idCategory=38

I hear the guy that makes the Dickey's is extremely helpful and accommodating .
You can discuss your needs with either place and they will guide you to what is best for your situation. I have a separate hatcher that is basically the same as my incubator without the turner but many incubators have the hatching drawer/tray in the bottom of the incubator such as with the 1502 sportsman, I see Dickey also has a similar set up .
You also may want to check craigslist for a good used one, never know when one may show up .
asb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:55 am Reply with quote

Thanks very much.

Had a look at both the makes and they seem quite good , but as I'm starting out with small quanties and looking for a completely automatic table top model, so maybe splurging on the Brinsea wont be such a bad idea (for peace of mind as well) . Will consider buying one of these when I'm successful (with my first hatch) and my stock grows..
casportpony

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote

asb wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone used the Brinsea Octogon 20 Advance EX incubator for hatching Peafowl eggs.If so how many peafowl eggs can fit into it ? Also what is your opinion on the same as I intend buying one shortly?

Thanks

I use an RCOM 20 and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Have you seen this review:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/847230/brinsea-octagon-20-advance-incubator-review

-Kathy
Lauren Knapp

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:13 pm Reply with quote

This is my first year hatching peachicks. I have the Brinsea 40 Eco. I added my own humidity reader and I have to add my own water about every 3 - 4 days. It holds 24 peacock eggs. Its really easy to clean and care for. I have 4 hens and at one point I had to farm out eggs- as there was not enough room. I like Brinsea incubators- next year I will get another one.
asb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:10 am Reply with quote

Thanks casportpony for the review link . Really reassuring, although have already put in eggs to incubate and am seeing a slight temperature variation of around 0.5 to 1 degree. Probably to do with the ambient temp or surrounding. Thinking of fixing it . Hope this slight variation does no harm the chicks or harm the incubation?

Thanks Lauren for sharing your experience . Really helpful . Might get a Octagon 40 next year if I'm happy with the Octogon 20 .
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care