Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  I have a chick who can't stand
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care     
Zenith49

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:31 am Reply with quote

The first clutch started hatching on Sunday. 4 of the 5 hatched then. One holdout. The next morning the last egg was pipped and I watched it closely all day. Not a lot of progress was made. I finally started helping around 4pm and the chick seemed normal. After he dried out, I put him in with the other 4. Yesterday, I noticed that he won't stand up. He's getting around on his knees. He's lively, but he just can't stand up. When I hold him, he toes will not grip.

What can I do for my little one?

Z.

Zenith49

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:57 am Reply with quote

It appears that his left foot is what is causing the problem as he won't let it touch the ground. I've gotten him to put a little weight on the right foot when I hold him, but no other progress has been made. The left foot appears normal. The bottom of the cage is quarter inch hardware cloth, the same as the incubator.

I'm getting the feeling there is no happy ending here and it makes me very sad.

Z.

D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:51 am Reply with quote

Though it is VERY difficult to know what is wrong without a good closeup photo of the
problem leg your words do suggest a displaced Achilles tendon. The usual symptoms of
this are:
1. a leg that has no power (remains bent at hock joint)
2. toes curled into a "fist"
and then, later, abrasions and swelling of hock joint as things go from bad to worse.

Sometimes when treated as soon as chick or peachick emerges from egg that tendon
can be popped back into the natural groove where it belongs and actually stay there.

But with persistant treatment (in first week of life) can save most victims of this problem.
I had a peachick with BOTH Achilles tendons out of place after a hard time getting loose
from eggshell. I worked with her for two weeks before those tendons were completely
cured. She is now an old peahen with NO evidence of her sad beginning.

So--post photo here or send me an email so that when I reply you get my email address
so that you can send photo to me. And meanwhile--put that peachick in a "chick chair"
to prevent it from injuring itself while struggling

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care