Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Talk to me....
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care     
CameraChick

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote

I'm reading so many things about incubating/turning eggs. When do YOU stop turning peafowl eggs if you're using an artificial incubator?

What else should we know, that you've found helpful over the years?
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:51 am Reply with quote

Best time is after the internal pip has been made.
If you will note when you sit your eggs out briefly on a counter that the air cell end ( the large end of the egg) during incubation is tiliting UP in the air, when the internal pip has been made the egg will be sitting level, usually around day 24- 26.
You will also be able to detect movement and hear chirping in the egg better during this time.
I have not always caught mine in time after they have made the internal pip though and they made the external pip while still being turned, all went fine.
Keep good air flow exchange the entire time and try and keep your temp. and humidity where it should be and constant !
In the last few days raise your humidity by about 5 %, works well for our eggs.

Good luck, would love to see other ideas too !
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote

Hmmmmm......this is where I am NOT much help due to the fact that, so far, NO live
peachick has been produced here without either a chicken or genuine peahen getting the
embryo started the old fashioned way though most of the time I move egg with live
peachick to a window top Hovabator so I can monitor the hatching and see if a peachick
is malpositioned in time to save it.
But this year the only chicken wanting to "set" got started several weeks before any
peahen eggs were produced so that the day after I put three peahen eggs under her ....
.....her setting time was over causing her to abandon the eggs. I did not blame her due to
the fact that her behavior was governed by hormones and inner cycles. And this hen was
new to her job. So I have been using my Lyon TX-7 that I salvaged from on the ground
in front of a dumpster box needing repairs and parts. This did produce a few living baby
chickens a couple years ago (including the aforementioned setting hen) but NO peafowls.
So far some peahen eggs have started an embryo which died. So I am hoping for
chicken to volunteer. I would try leaving eggs for peahens but have been having problem
with "vanishing eggs" this year. Possums and gray rat snakes do indeed eat peahen
eggs as well as wooden or plastic Easter eggs.
Oh, well, I do not need more peafowls and should sell a few peacocks considering that
times are hard and getting harder gaah

UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:19 am Reply with quote

noomi wrote:
This year I had two cracked eggs incubate successfully. The membrane in both was still intact. I did take extra care to watch these eggs and smell often to be sure they weren't fouling the incubator. Sorry. Couldn't resist the pun.! Best, Judy

======================================================
THIS YEAR ALREADY?
YOU DID NOT PUT YOUR LOCATION IN YOUR PROFILE BUT PEOPLE IN NORTH AMERICA
OR EUROPE ARE NOT LIKELY TO HAVE ALREADY INCUBATED ANY EGGS.
AND
WHAT IS MSI Afterbunrer and SSD? Or did you mean afterburner?
AND IF YOU ARE noomi, then who is Judy?

several moderators are at work watching you. Any one of them can delete your posts computer

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote

I would go ahead and delete the posts, and DCT I would also delete their account. Wink
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:24 pm Reply with quote

MinxFox wrote:
I would go ahead and delete the posts, and DCT I would also delete their account. Wink

Minxfox, I poke at these pests first while this alerts others to what is going on.
So far, I have NO way to delete an account but this would do NO good even if I could
because a real pest just changes names and gets another account gaah
It is good to always think twice before deleting anything because there is no way to
bring it back.

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care