Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Protecting sitting peahen
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care     
tatum hills

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:40 am Reply with quote

What's the best way of protecting a free ranging hen that's sitting on eggs? Can you build a pen around her or put a dog crate over her or will this put her off? Thanks!
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote

That is one DIFFICULT and/or impossible question Rolling Eyes Putting a crate over her
would probably chase her away. If you could build a secure pen (with top) without
disturbing her while building it might work.....or might not Confused
I have heard of "livestock guard dogs" but do not have one. I keep all poultry in
wire covered pens attached to coops or rain shelters because the nearby forest is full
of varmints (predators) and there are roving dogs, too. With fire ants and gray rat snakes
that prefer eggs and poultry to rats gaah it is hard enough to get peachicks even in
pens

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:20 am Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, I know it's very hard. My main plan is to lock all my peafowl in an aviary for the breeding season but the other thought was to Amit until the hen is off tge nest for a feed and move the nest inside the dog crate (metal one like a cage so she can see through). Leave the door open for her to come and go and lick up at night... Of course chances of her never returning to the nest are high but I reckon it may be worth a shot if I get a girl nesting out in the open.
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:09 am Reply with quote

Most of my peachicks are produced by using a CHICKEN hen for the first 23 days of the
incubation time and then moving the eggs to a windowtop Hovabator. While moving them
I candle to remove rotten and infertile ones. Then I rinse the live ones in warm water
to get rid of any mites or lice before placing them in the Hovabator to complete the
TWENTY SIX days....yes, that IS the normal number of days unless weather has been
abnormal or eggs were chilled sometime during incubtion. If you have a good chicken
who is already setting you can try that. Or you can try using incubator for full term but
so far, I have never produced a living baby peafowl that way. After peachick hatches in
Hovabator it needs to move to a warm brooder to grow some feathers.
-------------
Even with a chicken eggs are NOT safe here. A couple years ago I was about to slip
a newly collected peahen egg under my bearded barred rock bantam hen in the late
evening darkness when I saw that she was in a very distressed posture Confused
This was because a five foot three inch gray rat snake had one coil around her neck :jawdrop
I do not remember ever getting that egg hatched but can tell you that my precious
little hen lived and the gray rat snake did NOT computer

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care