Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Maybe eggs?
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care     
lhROW
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote

We have several chickens which lay brown eggs in the same pen with the peas, including a couple of red hens and two Ameracaunas. Our only peahen is just now coming up to two years old, as she hatched in June 2012. The last couple of days we have found a couple of chicken-sized eggs that are a new color for the chickens, and which look exactly like pea eggs in color and texture. All three boys (two 3 year olds, and one 2 year old) strut and fan all the time, and they all have eye feathers.

Is it possible that the peahen is actually laying her first eggs, and they are just small? Shocked

I suppose the chickens may have changed egg color on me (Ameracaunas apparently do that a lot), but the texture of the eggshell looks more like a pea egg, if you can picture what I mean by that.

I'm trying to figure out if I need to get out the incubator, and if there's any likelihood these smallish eggs would be viable... (No roosters, so if they are from the chickens, they keep going in the fry pan Laughing )

Thanks

UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:18 pm Reply with quote

Hmmm..... Confused A chickens first egg (or first after a molt) may be darker than her later eggs.
I have observed some strange colors of peahen eggs, too. Some of those were due to
being in the oviduct too long (in contact with the area where color is added). Last year
there was an egg with tiny spots just like a turkey egg from a green spalding peahen
that normally lays plain eggs. This spotted egg did hatch but the peachick died.
Years ago past the end of breeding season I found a very dark brown egg (peahen size)
in a pen where there were NO chickens. It really did look like a giant egg from a Rhode
Island red. I knew it was infertile but stubbornly put it under an incubating chicken.
I should have cooked and eaten it.

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote

How small can a peahen egg be and still be viable?

My two year-old hen has definitely been laying occasionally and sporadically for the last couple of months. I have one normal-sized pea egg and one slightly smallish pea egg in the incubator, and they are both developing, with a couple more weeks to go.

There was another egg that has been in the bird house for a few days that I thought was a chicken egg, but today there was another, and I am now convinced that both of these eggs which are small, even for a chicken, are from the peahen. (The chickens are mostly laying their eggs in a doghouse, where the peas have a harder time getting at them.) I'm thinking the peahen is just producing small eggs due to her young age.

I went ahead and stuck the teensy eggs in the incubator -- is there any likelihood of these under-sized egglets producing a chick? Since the larger ones are developing embryos, there's obviously fertilization activity happening Laughing And there's no roosters, just a few chicken hens and then the peas, 2 three-year old cocks, one 2 year-old cock and the unrelated hen that hatched out with him summer before last... All three of the boys have eye feathers, so I'm anxious to see what hatches out, if any of the eggs get that far. But I'm curious whether the egglets have any chance at all...

UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote

Some undersized eggs are all egg white or all yolk. The best way to find out if you have
fertile eggs is to incubate them and then candle them.
When Twister was two years old she produced three eggs that were small but the color
and shape was perfect and she had been given some well timed visits with a very good
breeding peacock. As soon as that first egg was dry I picked it up, marked it, and
delivered it to an incubating chicken. That one had pipped shell at 24 and a half days
and I helped Firstborn out on day 25. She lived for 21 years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care