Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Peahen with curled feet after last springs egg laying
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health     
Aeron

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:43 am Reply with quote

Hi- I just came across this list.... very glad to find it...

My peahen got "curled feet" after she laid all the spring eggs. She had no trouble laying the eggs- there were 6 (she did not sit on them to hatch) She has laid and raised chicks naturally last year in Ontario Canada by thousand islands so climate is a colder but not crazy north cold..... THIS year I moved to gettysburg pa and I'm wondering if the climate change might have affected her for the last spring egg laying.

for a long time, months- i gave her crushed calcium pills in an eye dropper and have been giving all kinds of supplements and rooster booster type stuff to their food. I was feeding a good mixed grain diet during the egging- but it must not have had enough calcium ? I dont know- its what I always did in the past... the feet got just a little better.. but no where near normal

So she has been foot crippled for about a year now she doesnt fly or perch. But she is healthy otherwise and goes inside and out to eat etc.... seems to have good attitude etc

does anyone have any suggestions other than forcing her feet flat (not sure i want to do that- i think it would be painful ?) to help her out in some way ? or do you think I should just leave her as she is. I'm worried if she lays eggs again this spring since she is in with my male....

I appreciate any thoughts and discussion... thanks
Dylan's Mom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:43 am Reply with quote

Hi Aeron, looks like we are almost neighbors. Smile We are about 15 mins NE of Gettysburg, technically we are in New Oxford. If you look at the first post on page 2 of the health section here, you will see my post from this past summer. My IB's feet clenched up about halfway thru her laying, having no idea what to do I tried a broad spec. antibiotic and some vitamins and electrolytes. I doubt they really did anything, but luckily she did recover after about 4 or 5 days. I have no idea what caused it, but all of her eggs were clears, so I wonder if the 2 issues were related? Would almost think they had to be, she has hatched healthy chicks before. How/where does your hen roost at night if she cannot perch? I'm hoping she is able to keep warm enough wherever she is sleeping.

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health