Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Pea gravel for outdoor run?
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing     
yag113

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:42 am Reply with quote

My peas are outside in the yard most days but at night and in crappy weather they have a house and an outdoor run. Outdoor run has a dirt floor and can get muddy at times. Is pea gravel OK for pea feet? I thought it would hose well when dirty and they get plenty of dust and dust bathing and bugs and such when out in the yard.

Any opinions? Thanks!
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:24 am Reply with quote

I think it should be fine but personally I would opt for sand.
Would stay fairly clean/ dries out quickly and would be easier on the feet.
Also...if your birds are like mine and like to lay off the roosts or out in the run there will be a LOT less chance of cracked eggs ! :egg
yag113

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote

I considered sand and that would also be cheaper. My main concern is getting them off the dirt and onto something more cleanable.

BTW, like your little white pea photo! I just hatched 2 white peas and they right around that size. Very sweet birds. Anyway to tell male from female with the white ones other than wait and see who grows a tail!?
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:20 pm Reply with quote

yag113 wrote:
I considered sand and that would also be cheaper. My main concern is getting them off the dirt and onto something more cleanable.

BTW, like your little white pea photo! I just hatched 2 white peas and they right around that size. Very sweet birds. Anyway to tell male from female with the white ones other than wait and see who grows a tail!?

Thanks, I love the white ones especially.
The sand is really the trick, IMHO but is tedious at times for is tiresome to shovel in the pens, especially when you need to replenish after a heavy rain/wash but I def. would go with sand over the gravel.
I had to replenish often after all the rain we had this past season just to save from getting cracked eggs.
You can " scoop the poop" out of sand too, should you be so inclined but I never bother. Rolling Eyes

When they are right at a year old you will be able to tell the sex of them better, the males will have longer legs and the spur bumps.
Some females will develop tiny spur bumps too so that can maybe fool you at times but yes, you should see some excess tail on the males by then.
yag113

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote

Yes....I kinda figured it was a wait and see. Can't wait to see that tail in white a few years from now. I've never seen an adult white male in person but I bet it's downright breathtaking! Thanks for the input!
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing