Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Puffy chick
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health     
Peachick Grammie
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote

I have a puffy chick. It hatched Saturday morning about 0600. I picked it up today to photograph it because it is from my black shoulder hen/white peacock. I could feel the crepitus (air under the skin) as soon as I picked it up. I could not see any injury. Quick trip to vet, she couldn't see injury either but thought there was maybe a bruise. We pulled off the air with syringe 2x. Puffy tolerated it ok. Brought her back and she was eating, drinking, pooing. She was acting like normal chick but maybe waddling a little. At sunset the puffiness was back but still not showing any sign of distress. I am so worried...this is a really special chick. Can she survive??? She was under mom when I last checked on her.

Peachick Grammie
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:09 pm Reply with quote

Puffy the peachick's puffiness has markedly decreased today on this rainy day. I pulled more air off of her last night because she seemed really, really tight. Cottonball was determined to get all 5 chicks up on the roost last night and managed it with the help of the chick ramp we built last year. Puffy fell off a couple of times and CB let me put the chick back under her on the roost. Maybe bouncing a couple of times knocked the rest of the air out. I went out at midnight and all were off the roost and under CB. Still don't know why she filled up with air but now I would not be afraid to tap the air if it happened again.

Learn something every day with peachicks!

D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:38 am Reply with quote

I had a peachick back in 1988 (my first year with peafowl) who was so bloated that
he looked ready to die of pain. I selected a spot on his abdomen where skin was
clear so that I could avoid blood vessels and pricked just the skin. He deflated
instantly and was so relieved that he stretched out on my hand and went to sleep.
I did have to repeat treatment just a few times but after two weeks there were no
more "inflations" (air sac injury)

He bonded with me and was a dear pet until calamety struck when he was six months old

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health